Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I don't get it -- Mozilla and Chimera run beautifully on the Mac ... but today I loaded Netscape 7 and it's been a pain in the ass from the start. It's taking forever to load up, it's crashed three times (more often than Mozilla's crashed in two weeks.) There's truly no good reason to use this browser over Mozilla or Chimera.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
it sucks on ALL platforms, the netscape coders dont know squat bout coding lol, bah our school STILL uses crapscape 4 (on mac os 8.6-os 9), they'll never switch to moz or ie or anything...

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Netscape 4 is still the fastest, most stable browser on the mac, at least as far as running complex javascripts quickly and not crashing or slowing down to a crawl like IE 5 seems to do more frequently that is should. For example, any page on this site that's over 40K or so loads in quite a few seconds and doesn't render correctly in IE till it's fully loaded, any version of netscape I've ever used doesn't do this. My connection speed is reasonably fast too being a cable modem.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
are you using version 6.2 or 7b ? i recently downloaded version 7b to test out some of the netscape only features (full screen mode etc). It wasnt bad. not my favorite, but it had its good points. as of 10.2 i have moved completely o chimera and so far have no crashes no rendering problems and no other problems. took me awhile to finally switch from moz to chim but its done and im happy. i keep checking in on the other browsers just to make sure im not missing out on anything good though. im looking forward to ow5.

does anyone know the development roadmpa for netscape 7? what moz build is 7b and any ideas on when 7.0 will be released?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i like the old netscape, but i truly believe aol bought netscape and purposely made it awful, grossly awful, to make people use the aol browser instead...just my 2 cents

i have to admit, even the worst microsoft software is better than the new netscape...and i don't want to bad mouth netscape....their co-founder was our mentor in northern california a couple of years ago when i was in a dot.com with a few friends

he saved us from being sued for huge buckaroos...ms was the fiend then by putting out a free browser...tons of development goes into a browser...one day microsoft may put out a free premiere or photoshop just to knock adobe down and then buy it

nothing makes me think ms is going to change their domination strategy...steal good stuff and buy the rest

steve jobs is in bill gates' pocket and has been like the mac faithful have said back in 1997...so what else is new...money talks, and ....you know the rest:p

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by jefhatfield
i like the old netscape, but i truly believe aol bought netscape and purposely made it awful, grossly awful, to make people use the aol browser instead...just my 2 cents

the aol browser essentially IS netscape in that it uses the same engine.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
does anyone know the development roadmpa for netscape 7? what moz build is 7b and any ideas on when 7.0 will be released?

It's been released today, i'm using 7.0 right now...

now how do i get full screen mode??

:)
pnw

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Is it just me or does Netscape still suck?

How do you get your copy to suck?

No matter how hard I try mine is still stuck in blow.

---

The kill pop-ups feature is usefull.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

the aol browser essentially IS netscape in that it uses the same engine.

yikes...you must be kidding

what happened to the cool netscape 4?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Netscape is supposed to be a web browser, not a source for sexual references. :rolleyes:

I don't use Netscape, considering Mozilla loads faster and doesn't go through all the crap in the mail as Netscape, which keeps dial-up users (like me) waiting impatiently to receive sp*m from Joe Shmoe.

With Mozilla, however, I get to read/reply to him much quicker, which can be a bad thing. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.