Is it just me, or is IBM crazy?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Vlade, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Why doesn't IBM make the new PPC 9x0 chips x86 and sell them to PC vendors such as Dell? It seems they could make a fortune doing this... I love the mac and I make shareware for the mac, but i'm porting my games to PCs to make some extra cash, so why doesn't IBM?

2. adamcoop macrumors regular

Yes. - You're crazy.

"Why doesn't IBM make PPC x86?"

Forget it... *shakes head *

3. MacManDan macrumors 6502

The PowerPC and x86 architectures aren't similar enough for IBM to simply "port" the chips. Besides, it seems like it's a "saturated" market with Intel and AMD anyway. Remember Cyrix? If not, they were a 3rd processor manufacturer that failed miserably. They couldn't keep up with Intel or (later) AMD. I think it would be more impractical for IBM to put the money into the processor research and the attempt to keep up...

Your idea would be a good one, I think, if it were easy for IBM to do. Besides, IBM uses their own PPC chips in their servers, and buys Intel chips for their PCs..

4. adamcoop macrumors regular

5. adamcoop macrumors regular

MacDanMan - Being of Mexican Heritage (Is that pronouced "Meh hi can"? - that's what I've learnt from Hollywood)... anyway, have YOU heard of Plastilina Mosh?

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

this would be better suited to put in a PM. some people may think you are trying to be offensive towards Mexicans.

and to answer your very first question vlade, dell has a deal with Intel and so they seem to sell only Intel processors, at least for now and the near future.

and besides, IBM makes other chips that are x86 and use them in their own projects.

7. Vlade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vlade

But IBM CAN keep up with AMD/Intel. Even if it costs millions of dollars it would be worth it to IBM if they could get even 10% of the processor sales (there making money off 3% aren't they?").

8. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

IBM has been savy about the whole computer business and they have been successful at it. For example, their servers use non-IBM chips as well as their own. It is possible that IBM considered the possibility, and in the end they determined cost-and-benefit of the venture simply did not warrant their effort.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

there's this...

not exactly on-topic, but interesting nonetheless...

pnw

10. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

so, while we are at it, why don't all the apple growers make their apples into oranges. then they can get into that market as well.

The simple answer is you just can't make the powerPC x86. it just doesn't work that way. its probably possible to add some kind of translation like transmeta, but they aren't doing a whole lot really, are they. I suppose they could add x86 parts to it, but then the chip would be much larger, much hotter, completely useless for the applications IBM has in mind for it, and more expensive than everything offered by intel and AMD. They'd be crushed.

Now, perhaps you mean why doesn't IBM make x86 chips (that would have nothing to do with the PPC). I don't know what licensing there might be, but aside from that, they'd be entering a market that is totally saturated, with competition already in place by companies with loads of money and who have lots of supplier contracts already in place. Also, the x86 products they would make would not need them for software or support. so thats less money coming in.

Meanwhile, IBM can forgo that market, make stuff that is very well suited to high end servers that yield higher margins, leverage that hardware into their own software and support services (whihc is where they are making a killing nowadays)

a similar anaology would be why doesn't apple make windows machines. they'd proably sell very well, but there is a difference between selling a lot and making money. There is a difference between recognizing your strengths and making money in a niche market, and trying to do everything against stiff competition in a commodity market.

IBm making x86 just doesn't make sense to me. involving the powerPC 9x0 series with x86 makes absolutely no sense to me.

11. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

12. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

If the “PC” manufactures want 970 chips, IBM will sell it to them. I didn’t think that Apple had an exclusive agreement on 970 chips, just as Intel doesn’t only sell only to Dell. It would take a massive change from motherboard to OS for a 970 to work with Windows.

Besides, it's only a niche market today. 10 or more years from now it could be the junk processor like the Z80 chip, found in everything from game centers to rice cookers.

Off topic:
    Hum, the chip name is familiar. I think that the 970 was one processors or model #s of a "rogue" robot mentioned in the in the 1984 movie Runaway. “It's an old 970”. A java based game with a 970 based robot from Runaway is here.

13. m-squared macrumors newbie

ibm, ppc, and x86

i would just like to point out that it is economically wise for ibm not to develop its own x86 architecture. IBM can purchase AMD's or Intel's hardware and benefit from the competitive prices from both chip manufacturers. IBM has been developing the PPC architecture along with Apple and Motorola for several years. This helps IBM develop this evolving architecture at less monetary risk because it is developed in tandem with these other corporations. As far as x86 and PPC , they are architectures that are very different it is like comparing a diesel engine and a gas engine. They both may move a vehicle, and they both may act similarly but when you take a good hard look; they are just different beasts. Thank you for reading my spiel. :)

14. dstorey macrumors 6502a

However, IBM said that in a few years ther will only be Intel and HAL...i mean IBM, in the processor business. We know that IBM and AMD have agreements together...so maybe IBM will buy out AMD...that could be a great deal for them, as dont they already make amd's or plan to at fishkill? It would mean they would have a good range of processors to really compete with intel, and the resources to push the Athlon etc right up there again with the intel rival. Not that it would really benifit Apple unless they do a Malakar (or whatever its called) release on IBM Athlon64 or whatever

15. m-squared macrumors newbie

ibm and intel duo

It is highly improbable that Intel and IBM will be the two sole innovators in the microprocessor front out there. Consider the sparc architecture from sun microsystems, or even offerings from HP. I believe it is more likely that only two companies will be left with deep enough pockets to build fabs and therefore manufacture the next generation in hard silicon. That will probably be IBM and Intel. Yet, I still do not see a world where the two architectures that dominate are x86 and PPC. x86's demise has been predicted over and over and lets face it even intel is banking on its death with their 64bit offerings. Eventually, just to increase performance both camps will have to redesign their architectures from the ground up. Thank you for your reply I found it interesting and as far as I am concerned I hope PPC does not disappear but improves because it is an elegant architecture.
    :)

16. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Re: ibm and intel duo

HP is planning to drop all of its homegrown processor lines and move to Itanium -- which it helped Intel develop.

Sun is currently stagnating a little, but their next-generation SPARC architecture (8 cores on each processor, w/4-way SMT on each core) sounds mighty impressive!