Is it just me or is talk radio on iTunes left leaning

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Josephkyles, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Josephkyles macrumors regular

I've noticed this for a while, and its just been bothering me. Has anyone else noticed that most of the streams in the Talk section of iTunes radio have some kind of tilt to the left? I haven't actually listened to all the stations, can anyone confirm or disprove this?

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I haven't listened to talk radio to iTunes, but I wouldn't be surprised. Leftist views get less air time on normal radio broadcasts, so it would be natural enough for them to seek alternative channels to get their message across.

3. sturigdson macrumors regular

Hm. perhaps.

but it's my experience that terrestrial radio is very right-leaning, so, all in all...

4. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I think all this talk of left and right leaning is nonsense anyway.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It dont think its non-sense. Otherwise people wouldnt call Fox News Channel right leaning, or the MSNBC left leaning.

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Fox News is fair and balanced ;)

I think I should expand my comments. Basically any accusation of "left-leaning" radio is total BS, because Clear Channel owns the airwaves and look who they are buddy buddy with.

Air America with Franken hasn't been doing well at all, either. So much for the liberal conspiracy.

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think they lean left slightly...but Steve used to date Joan Baez so I can't say I'm surprised.

8. currentoccupant macrumors newbie

Are you at war with non-conservative talk radio?

I sense in your question a desire to eliminate all non-conservative talk radio.

As a non-conservative, I resent the overwhelming flood of right-wing, neoconservative media in newspapers, radio, television, cable and more, and on iTunes.

Have you ever really looked at the list of radio talk shows on iTunes? It is overwhelmingly right-wing. I know because I have looked.

Do the words balance, free-speech, compromise, justice, scare you?

9. Shrink macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I just read that line to the person below...

Attached Files:

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, that would be my impression, also.

Ah, right, then.....

Is this an irony I have somehow missed, or a post that flies in the face of an unpleasant reality as perceived by a great many people?

Well, once all dissenting and differing voices are silenced, or stifled, or otherwise excluded from the airwaves and shut up, it is then quite easy for the right to claim that nobody disagrees with their world view.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

You mean there is talk radio besides the CBC and the BBC? Wow. Go figure, eh?

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I haven't seen any left-wing radio in years (does KPFA still exist?). As a social moderate/fiscal conservative, I am appalled by the right-leaning media today, including PBS and NPR, that treat the current Republican crop of absolute lunatic religious bigots as if they were serious statesmen. People like Perry, Bachmann, and Santorum. If there are left-leaning media remaining in the U.S. somewhere, I would like to know where they are. The problem we have today is that all the media have moved two steps to right, so that a right-of-center, monopoly-tolerant Democrat like President Obama seems "left". Ridiculous.

13. ejb190, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

You know, the custodian at my church once told me that if half the folks complain it's too hot and half say it's too cold, it must be about right.

I have heard PBS and NPR called both ways - right and left. Personally I think the whole right/left thing is a silly argument - way too simplistic. It's like calling everything that flies an airplane or everything with six legs a pest. For some reason we like big neat categories to put things or people into. It's much easier to be "Us vs. Them" than it is to be "Us vs. Them vs. Them vs. Them vs. Them...." And maybe that's our problem. We don't appreciate a diversity of opinion anymore. We boil problems down to binary solutions - this or that - forgetting that there is a whole range of compromise and out of the box answers to any given problem.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like that :), one to remember.

15. Shrink macrumors demi-god

Shrink

That was a balanced, intelligent, calm and rational post.

Wait a minute...what are you doing here on MR!!??:eek: :D

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't pay any attention to radio talk shown on iTunes, but isn't it possible that what's on there has shifted a bit to the right over the past 5 years since this thread was posted?

17. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I find most anything Apple is left leaning. No surprise to be honest.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I can relate to that. I generally feel most comfortable sitting right in the middle, with about half the folks being to the right and half being to the left of me. It's still kind of that way, except it is more like half the folks are about like me, and half are so far to the right that they are teetering on the edge of a cliff.

In other words -- don't kid yourself:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/04/if-you-ask-allen-west-communism-alive-and-well-congress/51012/

Communists, er, members of the Progressive Caucus? Just kidding!!

19. mobilehaathi macrumors 604

mobilehaathi

MR must be going to the dogs....:p

20. Shrink macrumors demi-god

Shrink

It's scary.:eek:

The next thing you know, people will start being polite to each other, and that will pretty much be it for MR.;)

21. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Actually I was trying to stir things up a little bit. ;)

22. Shrink macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Being calm, balanced, and reasonable...that's damn near trolling!!

:rolleyes: :D

23. snberk103 macrumors 603

I find it interesting that what Americans call "Left Wing" is still very much "Right Wing" to the rest of the developed world - sometimes so far right as to be right off the scales.

I'm in Canada, and every once in awhile there will be an "America wants to take over Canada" hysteria. Never gonna happen, I say. No one in US wants 35million more Democrats and Libertatians joining the Union. It would throw the political balance off.