is it just me? or is this retarded?

Discussion in 'Community' started by evoluzione, Dec 27, 2003.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ok, time to rant about NYC drivers... i just drove into Manhattan to my office, where, across the street, on weekends, there is a big antiques fair/flea market so parking is insanely difficult. so imagine my surprise when i see a small space right outside the front door of my office. i drive a VW Jetta which isn't that small, but is tiny compared to most trucks and SUVs that barge around this city. I'm good at parking, and i manage to shoehorn my way into the space with less than 6 inches space front and back...and i do this without bumper parking like most New Yorkers. in the process of me shuffling about 6 times to get in, two cars stop to see if i'm leaving as they obviously want the parking spot. one of these was a big Acura and the other a Windstar or some other nondescript soccer mom vehicle. can these people not see that they have absolutely NO chance of getting their car into the space I am currently squeezing into???? i mean, really, come on now, I know you probably have Jersey plates on your car, but you must have a bit more sense than that!

oh, and whilst i'm at it, what's with people turning right from the left hand lane with NO signals whatsoever!?!?!?? and without looking around them to see if there's anyone in their way.

Driving in NYC, makes me wonder how so many people get to where they're going in one piece...

2. iGav macrumors G3

yeah, driving in NY is bullsh*t... :eek: I suggest a VEKTAR... comes fully loaded, and will likely out accelerate any yank-tank at the red-light-one-stop-shop-burn-out.... ;)

Wicked!! :D

Did I mention it comes with a radio! :D

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

*must get iGAV to leave this Vektar obsession thing he has going alone!*

4. iGav macrumors G3

:eek: :eek: :eek: never....

you realise how many VEKTAR's you can get if you trade in your New Mini??? :eek: ;) :D

Oooooh did I mention it comes with a radio?? ;) and A/C! :p

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

omg, omg, omg, must work harder/faster to rid iGAV of this most unhealthy of obsessions

btw, sorry for the off topic, it's christmas!

6. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

yeah, and then someone opens their car door on you and your vektar without looking....it is nyc after all

7. iGav macrumors G3

a-ha.... comes fully loaded (this was a product of the 80's after all), when some inconsiderate soul opens their door without looking, press the third button on console 'B' and turbo boost (read as bunny-hop whilst mouthing 'whooshing noise'.... ;)

that should do the trick just nicely! ;) :D

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    do they make one for guys?...... ;)

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I would have said yes, there was Kitt -- but they stuffed David Hasselhoff into it, and the Barbie Vette instantly pops into my mind.

10. iGav macrumors G3

you want one.... ;)

11. iGav macrumors G3

:p :p :p :p :p

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

People are nuts in NOLA as well. Aside from the fact that most drive like complete maniacs, it literally drives me nuts whenever I see someone parked at the very edge of the end of the parking (on the corner) all wedged up against someone's bumper. I mean, I know parking can be a total bitch, but is it really necessary to park so close to someone else's car that they need a can opener to get into the trunk? :rolleyes:

13. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

Re: is it just me? or is this retarded?

THAT IS THE BEST LINE EVER!
    :p

anyway, i think people are stupid driving in the city. i don't live there, but i go down there sometimes, and i think too many people have gigantic SUVs that they don't need and take up massive amounts of land.

one reason why i'll never get an SUV.:rolleyes:

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have a Honda Element, and that's on the small side for SUVs, with a fantastic turning radius. And I don't have many problems parking.

There are sometimes I'd love to have a mini when parking in DC.....

Although, my peeve with supid drivers is not stopping at a stop sign, when I'm in the crosswalk. I got to yell at some moron today.

D

15. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

Re: Re: is it just me? or is this retarded?

oh don't get me wrong, having an SUV in NYC is awesome, seeing over other people and just driving over the horrendous pot-holes without worrying about it....priceless. but yeah, 99% of SUV owners do NOT know how to drive them and should not have them!

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'll counter that peeve with the opposite...

People in NOLA don't seem to understand what that red light facing them means when crossing a street. It's not like us drivers have the right of way with our green lights, is it? :rolleyes:

17. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Yeah, thats really annoying. The pedestrian only has the right of way if there is a crosswalk with no light, but if there is a light, they have the right of way when it turns red.

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I know I'm guilty of ignoring the crosswalk lights myself, but I don't make drivers wait on me when they shouldn't.

It's just the ignorance that bugs me.

That said, if u are ever down here & attempting to cross Bourbon Street in your car at night...god bless u. :rolleyes:

19. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Here it is even worse. This is home of the worst drivers....... and worst pedestrians. People here rarely use their signal and if they do, they put in on while they're turning, which kinda defeats the purpose. Pedestrians are annoying too. They will cross the street whenever they like, even if the light is green. Also, nobody stops for pedestrians at a crosswalk. They have to put signs up everywhere thay say "stop for pedestrians", and they still don't stop...lol. Last week my dad was driving and stopped for someone at a crosswalk, and the person behind started beeping and threw a fit. :confused:

20. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

Best and worst

Here in boston, people completely ignore the crosswalks, in fact, when i first got here, i was completely confused, becuase i swear, the liught turned red, the people would cross, it turned green, they would stop. I was like WTF!
    I miss Los Angeles, where all the cars are so damn expensive that people drive them quite well. of course, there is always exceptoins in sucha crowded city, but over all, i think LA has the Best drivers
    peace
    Andreas

21. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

PUT THE CRAP PLASTIC BIKE ON THE FLOOR AND WALK AWAY, DO IT NOW OR ELSE I WILL BE FORCED TO SHOOT YOU... ;)

I'd get a SmartCar, then you can park nose on in a space no-one can get into, only drawback is that idiots in SUV's can't see you or indeed feel the bump as they roll right over you:eek:

22. iGav macrumors G3

:p :p :p :p

can you get those elastic band powered SmartCars in the U.S.???

did you see TopGear last night with that Brabus Smart Roadster.... that was abit rude, don't care much for the styling, but boy can it perform a tank slapper on key... wicked! :D

So then evo/nyc people... is Jersey a bad place?? well except being the hometown of Bon Jovi, but that's not Jerseys fault is it??? :eek: :p :p

23. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

hahahahaha...awesome. jersey sucks.

nah seriously, parts on NJ are beautiful, it's just most parts that most people see are the roads and the endless stripmalls. just think of it as an american version of middlesborough. full of concrete and soccer moms. hehe. :eek:

the bits that are close to nyc are, well, wannabes i think, they even called part of it West NY. go figure.

;)

oh, and new yorkers for the most part, cannot drive. but new jersey drivers, well, it's like sticking a somerset tractor driver in london. :p

24. iGav macrumors G3

full of pikeys!! :eek: :eek: :p :p

25. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Anyone have any experiences with people on Segways? or how about those new, little motorized scooters?