Is it just too OLD - Upgrade or replace MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Masterhalifax, Dec 10, 2012.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Dec 10, 2012
    I have had my MBA (1.6GHz internal Core 2 Duo) (@GB 1067 MHz DDR3) now for a few years, i think it was new in 2008. recently i have had to transfer all my photos (large files) and music to an external drive as the memory was getting full. Also it seem to be pretty slow at loading things nowadays..!

    Do i call it a day with it and move to a larger memory MBP or...

    Get more memory added to it..?

    It is coming to Christmas after all....

    Should it stay or should it go...?
  2. macrumors Westmere


    May 16, 2008
    You can't add RAM to a MacBook Air. It's soldered in.

    If you're having performance issues, this may help:
  3. macrumors 68000


    Feb 16, 2009
    Does it still meet your needs? = keep it
    Does it not meet your needs? = get a new one

    I know that is simplistic but if it is too slow for you to be productive or causes too much frustration than upgrade. But if you think you can squeeze some more life out of it and deal with the slowness keep it a little longer and save up some more for your next computer.

    As said, RAM can not be upgraded.
  4. macrumors regular

    Jan 30, 2009
    I'd wait until the next MBA refresh hopefully in around 4-6 months. The one out there now isn't worth the money IMO. (Screen, base RAM, bezel, are dated).
  5. macrumors 6502

    Jun 26, 2012
    Virginia, USA
    The current 2012 MBA is light years ahead of the older ones but you should only upgrade if what you have is no longer meeting your needs. Do remember, when you choose to upgrade, to purchase the max memory available as that may not be added after the fact. Also determine how much storage you feel you need and purchase an SSD at least twice that size to allow for future needs.
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 10, 2012

    Thanks for you responses Guys.

    That little link to clean up my Mac was great, not seen that before...

    Well looks like ill keep this one and use an external Drive for my Memory for a while, until something special comes out.. i do love my MBA even with its floors.
  7. macrumors 65816

    May 7, 2009
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    not wishing to be pedantic but the word is 'flaws'

    re the bulk of your post, there are the 13" and 15" rMBPro available right now which will blow your mind when compared with your current rig.

    despite the many opinions that they are way to expensive, etc, etc - they still represent a fantastic Mac experience and will last you 3 years + for around $2k.
    as is wolfpuppies3' suggestion

    whilst we appreciate 'there'll be newer and better in the next 6-9 months' mantra - I'd suggest your'e writing about it now because you're frustrated with your current set-up.

    if you have the buck$ to spare, why not go for it now?
  8. Masterhalifax, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012

    thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 10, 2012
    Apologies for my Grammar ... Long Day...

    i think i can wait a little longer with this one and see if any more developments comes out or even betray you all and go to a MBP.....

    Would upgrading the SSD make a massive difference, excuse my ignorance..!
  9. macrumors member

    Oct 31, 2011
    I'm in the same boat I am really leaning towards a new 11in with the 2.0 i7 I feel like that machine would be a pretty nice step up from what I have right now.
  10. macrumors member

    Feb 26, 2011
    I went from a core 2 duo 1.4 to the 2012 i7 2.0. My brother has the new i5 and even that screams. My advise is to upgrade since the "i" series even 2011 Intel's are so much better than the core 2 duo. The C2D are good more basic basic computing. I don't game but I do watch a lot of streaming video and the C2D always stuttered but the i5, i7 run perfectly.

    If you don't want to spend a lot get a 2011 refurbished one since even those will be a huge upgrade over the C2D
  11. macrumors 65816

    May 7, 2009
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    yes - huuuge difference

Share This Page