Is it Left Behind or Nowhere to Go?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by deanwaterman, Nov 28, 2005.

1. deanwaterman macrumors regular

I have found quite a few people as of late wondering if there is any significance to all the things going on in the world today, and their correlation to the end of this earth. I usually point people to Matthew 24, and the dialogue Christ had with His disciples... Wars, rumors of war, famine, earthquakes in diverse places (among other things) point to the return of Christ to this earth.

We have had strange tornadoes occur in unusual places, excessive earthquakes as of late, excessive hurricanes and tropical storms this season, and other strange weather phenomenon. Combine this with all the other things in the world and I think there is something going on.

I watched this awesome program the other day called "Final Events of Bible Prophecy" which really has made me think. It is very Biblical and ties in all the events we have seen happen recently with things to come.

I transferred this over to MPEG4 and can share it with anyone who is interested. PM your e-mail address to me and I will send it to you. It is only 250mb, and lasts about 45 minutes. If you have any interest in Bible Prophecy, I think this presentation answers alot of questions.

(Please, I know some have a rather anti-Christian view, and that is OK, but please respect others on this thread who might have comments or questions or something to add. Thanks!)

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Either that or our SUVs are finally working to ruin ecosphere. Global warming, baby! :D

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Humans frack up everything the touch. Environment included, and Mother Nature is just a bit pissed off by this and is fighting back. I don't find it unusual at all, stretches of bad weather/nature happen.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

would you agree that humans have seen all those things before, during and the whole time after the life of christ?

what's so special about 2005?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Is it "anti-Christian" to not believe in end-times prophecies?

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Whether one is concerned with cataclysm or catechism, the concerning part of that Matthew 24 synopsis, to me, is "because lawlessness shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold". Dealing with heat waves and hate mongers are horses of a different color, so to speak.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

9. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ya, me too. Thanks for the stretch. So, then they'll all Lif happily ever after, after all?

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

While I agree with all you guys- let's try to be cool. I'm trying harder after my last blow up.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Anyone else come in here expecting a thread on US education?

Since the Bible is a history, and prophesy never changes the future, I do not put any stock in Bible prophesy. I mean, even the prophets in the Bible who were right didn't change history (otherwise they would have been wrong).

Just as well if you read tea leaves.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, but I did see the Hitchcock version, "Norse by Norsewest."

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

That is exactly what i thought the thread was going to be about

15. maya macrumors 68040

maya

One can easily take any event in history and collaborate it together and call it the steps to the end of the world or the return of Christ. Nothing is for sure other than taxes, time, day/night, death, etc...you get the picture.

To say we are having severe climate conditions as of recent is untrue, this has indeed happened in the past, however we can only look back so many years as we have not kept proper records about previous climate change patterns.

Interesting video you have mentioned, if you do not mind I would like if a link was posted to this thread. I am neutral and I give everything and everyone a chance to explain they reasonings. :)

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm still of the belief that it's a self fullfilling prophecy. Some other end-of-times "prophecies" seem to have the same qualities. Maybe they just all copied each other.

Oh, and it isn't until 2012. I'm not kidding. 2012.

17. stillwater macrumors regular

Prophecy shmophecy.

Global warming is a much more logical explanation for current climatic events. As for large earthquakes, these things happen all the time and will continue to happen. Big tsunamis, while less frequent, are the inevitable result of undersea quakes.

The Earth is a very dynamic place. We live on the boken pieces of an eggshell surrounding a perpetually spinning liquid center. Disasters, whatever their form, are inevitable. I think people look for supernatural reasons for events when there are much more logical ones right in front of them.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Although I agree with others that we are doing our part to screw up the environment (some more than others), and that at least some of the "strange phenomena" can be traced back to us as the root cause (e.g. CO2 levels are currently the highest in 650,000 years), I fail to see how the events you mention "point" to anything novel in terms of wars, famine, epidemics and/or natural disasters.

In particular, I don't get how you can see any correlation with "end of the world" scenarios be them christian, norse, maja or whatever. Seriously.

These disasters have occurred quite frequently and regularly in the last few thousands years, often in scales (with respect to the times) much larger than what we see now.

a few examples of natural disasters/epidemics (excluding wars/genocides). it's an incomplete list and its biased toward modern events because of avilability of records:

2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami (250,000 deaths)
    1985 Ethiopia famine (1,000,000)
    1985 Nevado del Ruiz eruption (20,000)
    1976 tangshan earthquake (300,000)
    1970 Bhola cyclone (500,000)
    1931 Huang-he flood (3,000,000)
    1918 Spanish flu (30,000,000)
    1908 Messina earthquake (90,000)
    1907 Chinese famine (20,000,000)
    1902 Martinique eruption (40,000)
    1883 Krakatoa eruption (50,000)
    1870s Central europe Smallpox pandemic (500,000)
    1845 Irish Potato famine (1,000,000)
    1815 Mt Tambora eruptions (100,000)
    1780 Great Hurricane of Barbados (22,000)
    1755 Lisbon earthquake (100,000)
    1737 Calcutta typhoon (300,000)
    1649 Sevilla plague (80,000)
    1520-1581 smallpox/typhus epidemics (plus war) wipe out 11 of 15 million mesoamericans of the aztec empire
    1556 Shaanxi earthquake (800,000)
    1347 European Black Death (25,000,000, >1/3 of Europe's population)
    1330s China's Plague (25,000,000)
    1228 Netherland sea flood (100,000)
    1138 Aleppo earthquake (200,000)
    526 Antioch earthquake (250,000)
    79 Mt Vesuvius eruption (10,000?)
    BC 1650 Santorini eruption/tsunami (???; it eradicated the Minoan civilization)

not to mention larger but infrequent "extreme events" like ice ages, meteorite impacts (dinosaurs anyone?), supevolcanoes and other amenities (as I said, I left wars and others massacres out, but they are historically and geographically evenly dispersed)

19. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

With the onslaught of Breaking News (everything's reported so fast), the internet, dig cameras/phones, IM, text msg, etc., I think it's simply the fact that we actually hear about all these things that go on in the world. Every small storm is reported, where 20 years ago you wouldn't hear near as much of the news that is reported today. Therefore, people take what they hear and multiply the seriousness of the facts. I call it sensationalism. It's going to take a lot more than we can dish out before this rock is destroyed.

20. deanwaterman thread starter macrumors regular

I have the MPEG4 on my computer... Where could I host it so others could access it download it... Other than that, PM me with an e-mail address and I will send it to you

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

250 meg is too much for email. earthlink won't allow messages bigger than 10 meg, for example.

22. tristan macrumors 6502a

Somebody's cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

This planet has been around for four and a half billion years, and will be around, not matter what we do, for at least a couple more billion. Individual human life and human settlements are fragile in the grand scheme of things, and some places and people will unfortunately get hit by a natural disaster every year. Maybe in a really bad year, five million people will die from a natural disaster or a disease outbreak. Still, that would leave 99.93% of the world population alive, and population growth would replace those people in two weeks.

There are so many humans on the planet that we're almost guaranteed to be the dominant life form for the next hundred thousand years, at minimum, and possibly the next hundred million years. Not that we should get complacent about the environment or anything, because we will have to live with it for a long time, but let's keep it in perspective.

Of course, if you're a fundie, this science and logic is meaningless, and you'd rather get your info from Revelations, a book written by people who didn't even know what a germ was or that the Earth rotated around the sun.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

250MB is too big for just about anything. Gotta compress that bugger or it's gonna swallow a bandwidth allotment whole.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

When Halley's comet appeared close to Earth and highly visible in 1910, many took it as a sign of the end times.

My mom told me that during the second World War, there were many who believed the rise of so many powerful dictators, combined with war on a global scale, signaled the coming end of the world.

Then there are those poor folks who believe in Nostredamus.

There have always been people who see the End of the World in current events. I do not believe this is what is happening, for several reasons.

First, in Thessalonians the Bible says that the end will come like a thief in the night. In fact, it specifically states that it will come at a time when people are congratulating themselves on peace and safety.

Second, you can read almost anything you want into Revelations (and much of the rest of the Bible). Science fiction writer J. Michael Straczynski wrote, "Prophecy is a guess that comes true. When it doesn't, it's a metaphor."

Finally, by far most of the weird weather phenomena lately are entirely man-made...and therefore in our power to reverse. We are screwing with the ecosphere; God has nothing to do with it.

Yet, I do believe there is one troubling trend that could lead to the end, and that is the rise of Fundamentalism around the world (including...perhaps especially...the United States). There are no more evil, destructive forces in the world than those which tell men to spread their religion and are entirely intolerant of those who think differently. Ironically, if the world is destroyed, it will be by those trying to "save" it.

25. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Double post, how the hell did that happen...?