Is it me, or has MySpace gone completely insane?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by im_to_hyper, Jul 19, 2006.

1. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

OK, so I am sitting here at work, and I just got an add from someone on my MySpace profile. Normally I don't check it at work, but today is a slow day.

I mean this is totally crazy that this guy added me! Check it out... I think MySpace has gone past "friends" messaging each other :)

Insane Profile Link here

Check it out in depth, its really detailed, oddly enough!

2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i hate myspace. yet for some reason i still have one...

check me out

3. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

Myspace is pointless. Used to have one along time ago but I got rid of it.

4. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Ha you hate it, but lets check the link anyway :)

5. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I finally (after years of hesitation) gave in to my friends request, and joined MySpace yesterday.

...I guess I like the 'comments' features...:confused: . Meh, here it is Chris's MySpace (although there's not much there).

6. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I feel like I'm one of the last people that hasn't altered their profile. Except for a few pictures I'm still using the original template after almost two years. Profile

I only really use myspace now for quick emails to friends.

As for insane it depends on who you add as friends.

7. chrismccorkle macrumors regular

chrismccorkle

yep! seeya myspace! i was on since 2 months after starting and it has turned solely into a medium for advertising.

sure you can add people. view their profile. message them.

BUT! what is on each and every page, 70% of the page?

"FREE RINGTONES HELP BUSH WIN CITIBANK" blah blah

so i cancelled my account and am NOW using gmail (free from untargeted ads) to keep in touch.

who woulda thought? who wants a gmail invite? haha

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

9. Lau Guest

And what was the reasoning behind white text on a white background? :p Or is it like the hidden messages at the end of metal records if you play em backwards? :D

Anyway, he has more friends than I do. :eek:

10. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Have you checked out Facebook.com?

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    ya, Myspace is getting kinda nutty....it got bought by that Media Mogul guy and turned Tom and his buddy into very rich guys..

I use it, it's ok....but there's not a whole lot you can do with it. I use it for my bands page.

Occationaly I'll get invites from some ho....and you check her page and it's blank, she's got one friend..and it's tom...so you know it's some kind of spam....

But, I don't hate it, I hate the code....slow and clunky....

but, overall I think it's a good thing.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

13. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

myspace is the worse thing to happen to the internet in the last 2 years.

I'm not against social networking sites, I can even handle the horrible teenage trends that I'll never understand.

But the biggest issues facing myspace are technical ones. It's got to be the most poorly implemented community site ever, and secondly it puts no limit on what users can do to their pages. 5 flash movies? sure! odd IE only CSS? SURE! copyrighted music? SURE GREAT!

If they'd only limit the mess users can make of their pages I might find it more tolerable. But I've heard Death Cab for a Cutie start a few too many times without my asking.

14. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

yeah for about three years now its been insane. i'm pretty sure it's the source of all evil. if there was one place on the internet where the devil would reside, it'd be myspace.com.

15. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I understand why people dislike myspace, but what is with people going "OMGZZ I hate myspace because there are stupid teenagers and too many flash moviezzz!!"

There are stupid teens whether or not they have a myspace. There are sites which have so many stupid movies that they crash every browser. There are adverts on pretty much every single webpages (MR included)...

If you dislike myspace, nobody is asking you to go browse through all the profiles; just stay away from the site.

I have one because it is an easy way for me to communicate with current friends and keep in touch with old ones. I don't add creepy old men, and if you look at my profile you will see that I have simplified it out so that it is just used for communication. I only add people who I know, and who know me. Otherwise, myspace is just an advancement of an old trend; communication. It started out with face to face contact, then letters, then phones, then cell phones, the internet, and now myspace. It is simply a way to express yourself. Don't like it? Don't use it.

16. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    well said... too many ads also :p

17. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

The site is out of control, and the coding is horrible.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There are lots of people there and there are a lot of silly profiles from people who just want to have fun. I knew someone who created a profile for her cat and there were other profiles for cats on the cat's friends list.

You're supposed to have fun with it, aren't you?

I rarely meet someone new but there are a lot of bands on there and it's still the best way to find them. I tried Pure Volume but it was either unknown to a lot of people or didn't matter to new bands.

19. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

umm I don't think you do. Or else you wouldn't have just become so condescending.

My main complaint is that all those flash movies & such make it very slow loading. And having pages that take are 2,000 pixels wide. I'm not saying myspace pages have to look like great websites, but it shouldn't be a struggle to keep safari open when I'm on there.

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I can't stand myspace because no one there seems to have any sense when it comes to web design (...or any common sense, for that matter).

:mad:

21. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I hate Myspace. It's the stupidest crap. Have any seen the sites on myspace. Ughhh!!!! Completely horrid. Then those that have basic myspaces, get affected because to load the crap on other myspace profiles, it begins to hog the thing down. Sooner or later, their servers are going to fry. I think though that Myspace will eventually collapse, and then we can expect for there to be more Tom clones, and this dumb cycle will repeat itself.

22. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

It isn't a white background.:confused:

You should add him.:D

23. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I do, in fact, understand; to the point that I don't browse pages that Safari can't load. I deal with it by not being friends with people stupid enough to have 800 movies of Bam Margera doing something stupid and then 800 movies of the page owner trying to do the same thing.

I guess I just don't understand why people will complain about something that is voluntary. It is like complaining about what you made yourself for dinner; if you don't like it, don't make it. If you don't like myspace stay away. If the government forced everyone to have a myspace with 1600 videos, then I would be out in the streets with everyone else. However, since, at the moment, browsing myspace is a choice and not a requirement, I do not understand the complaints.

24. chrismccorkle macrumors regular

chrismccorkle