Is it me or ... (iPod games)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by carpe diem, Oct 10, 2005.

1. carpe diem macrumors 6502

do the games on the iPod suck. Seriously they should at least try to go beyond games which are designed for the very young or very old.

Well thats my view
    Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm happy with it. Music player first, gaming console distant second (if not actually about fifth). :p

My biggest gripe with the iPod is the lack of timezones. It really messes with iCal on the iPod having to use a timezone that's out by half an hour. :(

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I don't want them to add more games. I really don't want Apple to try and make an iPod, an all around PDA type music player. I love that the iPod focuses solely on music, and doesn't have tons of features like those other MP3 players.

But that's just my opinion.

4. carpe diem thread starter macrumors 6502

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is that directed at me? The nano still has the same timezones as my regular 4G iPod AFAIK. My brother got one just yesterday and he can't work out how to set it to our timezone.

Interestingly, it has a pretty comprehensive list of cities from which you can chose a clock. :confused:

6. carpe diem thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah sorry it is directed at you. What time zone are you in?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Central Australian at the moment (Adelaide, South Australia). I think there's a similar issue with parts of Canada too. I've told Apple but they don't really seem to care. I suppose it's kind of fair enough considering there are only a few million of us, but surely it's not that hard to add in an extra option.

Luckily I half live in Sydney too so for those moments, my iCal (and subsequent alarms and appointments) actually work. :p

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

iPod=no games. they're cool and all but not for me. last time i checked it was a music player. and a damn fine one at that

9. carpe diem thread starter macrumors 6502

10. the_freddinator macrumors regular

I dunno...I'm totally fine w/ the games. Brick can keep me occupied for 1 game or 30 minutes, whichever comes first (500 high score). Parachutes is ok....I hate solitaire.

My only problem is music quiz- it doesn't work. Actually, I"m going to search/thread that right now.

11. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I forget it even plays games. I never use them.

I suppress a lot of stuff from my main menu, this is what I have:

Playlists
    Artists
    Genres
    Settings

I don't use games, contacts, calendar on a regular basis at all. I'm actually the only contact loaded, with an "If lost, please contact..." blurb.

12. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I've got bored of the games to be honest. Music quiz is interesting at times, test friends too! I thought they would give us one or two new games with software updates, just to keep things interesting. Where did that Tetris rumour go?!

I'm not that bothered about the games, as you guys say it is a music player after all! But they're good fun little time wasters and occupiers! Something to make you love ya iPod even more!

13. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Yea there is timezone problems in Dashboard too some timezones are not the right time.

14. capsLOCK macrumors newbie

The clock on my nano is off by an hour. ive tried everything. It doesn't really bother me that much though- i just add an hour. I think its pretty brilliant- dark clock for night- light one for day. tokyo and seattle.. my favorite cities!

15. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I don't really even use games on it but hey, if they put some on, i certainly wouldn't complain.

16. robcts macrumors regular

17. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Are you feeling fat? and sassy?

18. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Where's my Parachute?! I've broken out more times than I care to remember!

--says a 2nd gen. owner.

EDIT: That could probably be read a variety of ways...

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have to agree with you there, the iPod is an awesome music player. But it is nice to be able to play games- an additional feature. That said, I have used my iPod Mini to play games about 3 times....

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes it could.... :) ;)

21. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I don't care much about the games, but it would have been nice if they'd designed the firmware so other people could write games. Then I guarantee they'd have a huge page full of downloadable iPod games, much like the Tiger Widgets site. Might be something interesting there. :cool:

22. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Think of this...

The Sega Genesis 16-bit console runs at 320x240 and there are emulators of this for most operating systems, I'm sure someone can port it to the iPod eventually. I can play Sonic the Hedgehog on my cell phone, so Ii think it's only a matter of time before I can play it on my iPod...I hope :p They can even add a dock connector add-on controller! That would be awesome! *continues to dream* :rolleyes:

I bet you might be able to do this on Linux but, that risks breaking your iPod :eek:

23. jed_edwards macrumors newbie

Ipod Games

Been looking for ipod games on the ipod for some time although the only thing I have come across is some very bland text games.

However, just come across one site which previously has sprung up www.ipodgames.com they are saying that they have seen a game which is being developed and due for release shorlty. Aparently it's going to be 30MB in size!!!!

You can sign up and the first 1000 will get to download it free.

can anyone shed any light on this?

24. the_freddinator macrumors regular

Perhaps with the new video capabilities of the iPod, games will be more popular downloads for the iPod. Think about it- the old games are java (my friend edited them so that the faling people in heli was the NYY symbol and his missile thing said his name)- with a more specified video product, downloads could be the next thing.