is it normal for my new ibook's cd drive to be so loud?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bjneuman, Nov 10, 2004.

1. bjneuman macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2004
    and its even more than just the sound of the disc spinning. every move the drive takes is pretty loud. ive never had one of these slot loading drives before, and i took the clunky insert/eject movements as normal, but i cant imagine that these loud noises are. normal, i mean. the spinning is loud and sometimes is accompanied by what sounds like something resonating in there. its a 14" 1.33
    help or advice?
    much appreciated,
  2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    I have a 12" PB with the slot-load drive and it's pretty quiet aside from the fans that start blaring shortly after I insert a CD. The intake/eject noise is normal, mine does the same. I'm not sure what exactly the noises are in your case - is it grinding or whirring? Does it happen with more than one CD? If so, I'd give Apple and maybe they can get it fixed.

Best wishes,
  3. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2004
    The Alpha Quadrant
    I have a 14" ibook also, and the one thing that bothers me about it (aside from the flimsy-feeling keyboard) is the noisy CD drive. So I think your issues are probably normal. Just so long as you don't hear any grinding/catching/loud clicking, I think you're probably okay. I love the slot-loading design, but I hate the excessive noise. Part of me thinks it's just because the iBook is such a small package--everything resonates more.

Hope this helps.
  4. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    My pbook cd drive is loud. Normal, it is totally normal. Since the ibooks and pbooks have suck tight enclosures and cds spin fast you hear noise.
  5. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    How many different CDs have you tried?

You may be using a CD that is quite out of balance.