Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
I've been using my MacBook 2.0 GHz Core Duo since I bought it around July and just noticed that the battery meter that is on the battery on the bottom part of the MacBook flashes while it is being charged.

Is this normal behavior? I only saw it because I turned the lights off and saw the reflection on my desk.

If I unplug the power, it stops flashing after about 10 seconds and starts again as soon as I plug it back in.

I'm not talking about the small LED on the MagSafe for those who have trouble reading.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
If it stayed on all the time, I would be worried but it consistently turns off when I remove the MagSafe adapter and comes on when I plug it in.

I'm still running 10.4.7 without the updated SMC though.

JurgenWigg

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Baltimore
I think you're talking about the battery indicator lights on the bottom, right? there should be a button there too. Do all the lights flash at once or just one? if just one, it's normal, it happens to mine too, i have the feeling that it indicates that the charge is halfway between one light and the next. It should do that when it's charging as well to tell you the status without opening your laptop.

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
I think you're talking about the battery indicator lights on the bottom, right? there should be a button there too. Do all the lights flash at once or just one? if just one, it's normal, it happens to mine too, i have the feeling that it indicates that the charge is halfway between one light and the next. It should do that when it's charging as well to tell you the status without opening your laptop.
Yes, basically it is just telling you where it is up to with charging. My iBook G4 did that too, as does my MacBook. When it is fully charged, the lights turn off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.