Is it OK to transport a PowerBook in a case (Timbuk 2) while its sleeping?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DSL Steve, Jan 22, 2006.

1. DSL Steve macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    Is it OK to transport a PowerBook in a case (Timbuk 2) while its sleeping (when the lid is closed and the sleep light is blinking)?
  2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I second that. I do it every day as well, and it's fine!
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    My PowerBook regularly accompanies me on my bike sleeping peacefully in it's Tom Bihn Brain Cell.
  4. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    Almost everyday I transport my PB while it is alseep in my Willow Design case.

I wish Willow Design was still in operation :(
  5. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2003
    Long Beach, California
    Let me guess: you're worried that about it because in the manual it says not to transfer your machine while it's on?

Yes, my step-dad is a freak about not moving the PowerBook while it's on, at all (he's also a hypocrite when it comes to not leaving the PowerBook on an uneven surface, but don't tell anyone).

It's perfectly alright to move your PowerBook while it's sleeping. I believe that the hard drive locks into place during sleep so that it can't be damaged.
  6. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2003
    San Diego
    I've been transporting my g4 Tibook around on sleep mode almost daily for the last two and a half years and its still chugging along no problems (I'm currently knocking furiously on wood).
  7. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sure is. I transport my sleeping iBook in my backpack all over school. I think when the laptop's sleeping the hard drive has stopped spinning and the read/write arm locks. (Much like the motion sensor feature.)

Is the hard drive what you're worried about? Or are you worried about it running out of battery life? Overheating?
  8. DSL Steve thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    Being an Engineer (EE), this was my main concern.
  9. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    The machine is essentially frozen while sleeping, with only a trickle current maintaining the current state of RAM. After the machine cools down from full operating temperature, it equilibrates to room temp while sleeping. No need to worry about heat buildup while sleeping and stashed in a case somewhere. I concur with all the other posters in this thread...I've been carting around my 12" PowerBook in an STM neoprene sleeve, inside an STM laptop backpack in the sleeping state for a shade over 2 years now, and never had a problem.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the almost bulletproof reliability of the sleeping function in PowerBooks/iBooks is one of the most attractive features.
  10. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Yes, I do that all the time on my Incase Sleeve :D
  11. TBi macrumors 68030

Jul 26, 2005
    The only thing to worry about, and this applies whether you sleep the laptop or turn it off, is whether the laptop is very hot when you put it into your bag. Most bags have lots of protection which also provide great insulation. If your powerbook has it's fan on like crazy to cool itself down then putting it in an insulated bag can lead to core components staying too hot for too long.

On a related note, this is a problem with overclocking. If your CPU is running at 60C with the fan pushing massive amounts of air then when you turn the computer off the chip will still rise in temperature as there is no fan to keep it cool. It usually isn't enough to damage anything but sometimes it can be.
  12. dambro1978 macrumors regular

May 20, 2005
    I have an old white ibook g3, and I killed my battery because of not switching it off in the evening going home from the university. I suggest everybody to switch it off if the pause before using it again lasts more than half an hour.

After 1 year of silly use my battery lasted 15 minutes. Now after 5 years battery lasts 3-4 minutes.

I know that battery preferences and performance are better now than 5 years ago, but switching it (when it is not connected to the electricity)off will keep your battery "younger".

still don't know if a macbook pro is worth 2150 euro or wait a macbook normal.
  13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

Uh, what? I don't think I have ever had my iBook G3 or any of the three powerbooks OFF for more than a half an hour in their lifetimes and have NEVER had a battery problem like that.

I have always abided by--and been told--that the rule about sleeping and turning off your laptop was 48 hours. If you are not going to using it for two days or more, turn it off, if not, just let it sleep.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Bay of Fundy

good rule! my iBook stays asleep constantly, in fact I just used it last night for the first time in probably 9 days and it was fine when I just unplugged it and ran. great reliability and stability I have found using sleep mode
  15. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    One caveat here if you are one of those 'Book owners who prefers a mouse to the trackpad.

Make sure that you unplug it before you put the Book in your bag (or if it's Bluetooth) that you turn it off or turn off the setting in OS X that allows Bluetooth devices to wake from sleep. Otherwise, you might inadvertently wake up your 'Book.
  16. galstaph macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2002
    The Great White North Eh
    mine is always asleep in its bag.... never had an issue, always wakes up never hot, can't see you having a problem.
  17. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    I still keep on forgetting to unplug the mouse before I close the lid.
  18. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2005
    You can turn a PowerBook off??

I'm going to have to give that a try...
  19. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I never do it because I had a hard drive in it that had a factory error which failed to lock the heads during sleep, so I ended up having to replace the hard drive. Now I have the "better safe than sorry" approach. But yeah, by most accounts, there is no harm in doing it, though I imagine it might be more succeptible to static?
  20. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    This is exactly what sleep mode is designed for.
  21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    It's fine to transport your book while in sleep mode i do it everyday with my ibook. My ibook is alseep on the train whiles its in a incase sleeve and laptop biggie.

22. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Actually, I think sleep mode was designed to conserve power. But yeah, it's fine 99.9% of the time to transport laptops while asleep, especially newer models.
  23. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    To confirm the numerous previous posts, I've been taking my AlBook 15 back and forth from school each day for over two years now with no problems. In that time various padding schemes have been used from a carefully packed backpack to a custom fitted Incase case. Aside from the PC card button popping out occasionally, nothing interesting has ever happened. :D
  24. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    I put my Powerbook in an STM sleeve while its asleep and throw that in my backpack and its fine. Been doing that for quite some time.

Also put my old iBook through an airport xray machine while sleeping and had no problems.