Is it okay to buy from the Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Gary King, May 29, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

I'm in Toronto, Canada. Canada's first Apple Store opened last week here (it's about 30 minutes drive; 1 hour round trip) and I was wondering, is it better to buy directly from the Apple Store? I mean, can I get 'ripped off' because they have higher prices than other places?

Thanks!

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I imagine the prices are identical to Apple's online store. I think Apple reseller prices would be the same - at least in the UK Apple direct seems just as competitive as anywhere else, and I like the idea of buying directly from Apple. If you are eligible for a student discount (10%) then get it - and this is only available from Apple. As for buying online: personally I would rather someone else wasted their time and fuel sending the computer to me, than me driving miles to pick it up (I'm not that impatient). Speshly when shipping is free!

3. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

But I want to feel and touch the goods first :)

Also, how long does the shipping usually take? And yeah, I believe I am eligible for the student discount.

4. iSwift macrumors newbie

I don't know if you can get student discount at the store or not (which you can online), but I think it comes down to specs on machines and stuff.

If you are buying a computer and you want to upgrade some stuff on it like memory or hard drive space, you should order online. It usually won't take more than a week and you get the computer that YOU want.

But if you wanna just buy a standard machine, definitely go to your Apple Store because you are probably like me, you can't wait to get your hands on the merchandise lol.

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The benefit of actually going to the Apple store is being able to see all the models and configuratons displayed side by side before you make your final decision.

Then once you know exactly which model you want, you can either buy it there or order it online.

You'll need to order BTO configurations online.

It's only 1/2 an hour in your case and well worth it since you'll be spending many happy years with whatever you choose.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

You can utilize your student discount at any brick and mortar Apple Store for hardware purchases, but not for eligible software purchases.

Stores usually stock the standard configurations of the entire line, and will also facilitiate a BTO unit delivery to the store, so if you wanna touch it before you buy it, you can, and then order to the specifications you wish.

The prices at the Apple Stores are the same as online with Apple - why would Apple try to rip you off just for coming into the store? :confused:

You can also order online from the specific store and have your BTO configuration delivered there for pickup.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The prices at the Apple store and at independent authorized Apple dealers should be all in line with the Apple online prices at apple.ca.

The Apple store will probably have good stock on the Macs (which Apple sometimes starves the independent dealers of) but they may have a limited selection of third-party peripherals compared to an independent dealer. The independents may have a little more room to discount on the third-party gear.

Apple will only sell you RAM at their high prices, so as discussed in another thread you may be better buying a 1 Gb module separately.

8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Just about everyone on here will tell you to get if from Apple just because you know it's guaranteed to work. You actually can get it for cheaper from Apple if you use a student discount. I would only buy Apple computers from Apple only because I know I will be getting what I paid for.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The prices should be the same. I also prefer to purchase directly. Also like to have a look at what I'm purchasing. If you go to the Apple Store, they can assist you with an online purchase. Items added other than memory needed to be purchased online. That way you an still get your educational discount.

10. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I've never gone to an apple store before, and the nearest apple store is kind of annoying to get to... but... when you say "if you wanna touch it before you buy it" do you mean that I can go in and look for dead pixels before I actually make the purchase? Would justify the extra hours of my time and a couple train tickets...

11. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

Apple's products have very similar prices everywhere (in a given country) I heard Apple doesn't let retailers sell for much less or they won't get more apple products (not sure if this is true) , in any case, Apple stores will do prices matches , at least in the UK

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Actually going to the Apple store is most helpful when trying to narrow down your final choices.

All the photos and thread posts in the world can't really show you the physical difference between a 12" iBook and a 15" Powerbook until you see them and try them first hand.

Once you get there, you may completely change your mind after seeing
    the minis, iMacs and the PowerMacs, so if it's not too much trouble, Go! ;)