Is it Possible, limit internet bandwidth for a computer?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by starcrossed, Jan 26, 2005.

1. starcrossed macrumors regular

Here's my dilema, I have two computers (Macs) sharing a DSL connection, which each can surf the fine. The problem is when I one is using the net heavily such as downloading, it is near impossible to have a nice surfing experience on the other. So I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to limit how much bandwidth each computer can use so that each computer won't go over a certain speed allowing them to nicely sharing the DSL's connection speed and allowing decent internet experiences on both computers at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. boneca macrumors 6502

I don't think you can limit the bandwidth for one of the computers. What you can do is to limit Download speed of the software that you using. Tell me exact software and I might be able to help you.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow. That never happens to me. I can be downloading a huge file on one computer, and the others still surf fine. I wonder if it has something to do with your router. I'm using the Airport Extreme base station, and somehow it "knows" not to give all the bandwidth to one computer.

4. starcrossed thread starter macrumors regular

I guess maybe I should look at the Airport Express Assistant to see if there is anything there to fix the problem. In downloading I am usually just using Safari and BitTorrent.

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

We do that all the time here, no problem. Unless you have a slow DSL link, where half the bandwidth doesn't yield a good surfing experience (say 128kbps), you shouldn't have a problem. Both Macs will have equal access to the DSL line; one computer can't shut the other guy out, per se.

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

7. boneca macrumors 6502

Exactly :D