Is it possible to be anonymous online?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by njmac, May 1, 2006.

1. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I am wondering if I post a comment to a blogger blog, if it can be connected to me in any way. I was just wondering also, is it possible to have a blogger blog and be anonymous?

FWIW, I want to know because there is a piece of information that I want to contribute to a local political blog but am hesitant because I do not want any backlash. It is nothing illegal, or even embarrasing but when dealing with these big-fish-in-a-little-pond corrupt types they can make life difficult. I know first hand.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Its possible I suppose. One can always trace an IP address to any post you make online, wether it be on a blog or on this forum. That's only if someone is desperate enough to find out who posted what, its not exactly easy to get it as far as I know.

I'm not too worried about it myself, a fair amount of people here know what I look like, my name, my general location and its just not that big of a deal to me.

*shrug*

You could always try posting through a proxy server or something, that will mask your IP somewhat but I'll let more 1337 types on the board make the real suggestions. ;)

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If it's a one-time thing, how about just using a public computer of some sort? My university has them all over the place...no signups or ID checking necessary.

4. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

Thanks. I never thought I would need to worry about such a thing either but I just want to be on the safe side. There is a lot of corruption in our town and I have something very very interesting to share.

5. knackroller macrumors regular

knackroller

No! Never say anything you might regret or do not want to be repeated. Even the most 'secure' sites or using your school / library PC can be traced back to you if they try hard enough, from searching the PC's cache to physical (e.g. CCTVs)

6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

If it's not illegal to do it, then what's the problem. The world needs more people to shake things up. That being said, do it at the public library :).

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Or have one of us post... I'm not too concerned about your town's politicians.

Unless you live near here.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

you can try a proxy surfer like proxify. that might be your best bet. there's several other web-based anonymous proxies if that one doesn't suit your needs. i can dig some up for you if need be.

9. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

If I'm not mistaken, you can't use forms in Proxify unless you subscribe or something like that. Here's one that allows you to do that: http://esconda.com/

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

PM me whatever it is, tell me where to post it and I can post it from a public computer at school, where any of 1000-odd people could have done it. :)

(I won't even read it if you'd rather I didn't)

12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Are you planning on makin some threats there buddy? :D

13. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Corruption? That's a problem in Jersey?

:D

No, seriously, what kind of info are we talking about? Give us the scoop!

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

In some ways it's hard not to be anonymous. Anonymity it numbers.

However, if someone is out to track you specifically, it's hard to be anonymous.

e

15. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Chloe O'Bryan could help you out. ;) :p

Haha. Sorry. Im watching 24.

16. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Oh my gosh, did you see her get that guy with the stun gun or whatever it was? I was cracking up.

17. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

yeah, I responded in the 24 thread though. :)