Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
If you have the disk image of Tiger, you should use disk utility to burn the image to a disk.

However, I have a question, for people. This is not related to Tiger. However, I've never known how you rip the image of a data disk. If I want to rip a DVD movie I'll use MacTheRipper or something, but how do you rip a data image, which would allow me to make copies of my backup data.

XNine

macrumors 68040
That's probably because you A: You mounted it on the desktop and then tried to burn it at some point after that, or B: are not doing it right.

You cannot mount an OS X image on the desktop before burning it to disc, EVER, otherwise you need to get a brand new image of it, and try it again.
Hopefully you OWN a copy and aren't pirating it.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Onizuka said:
That's probably because you A: You mounted it on the desktop and then tried to burn it at some point after that, or B: are not doing it right.

You cannot mount an OS X image on the desktop before burning it to disc, EVER, otherwise you need to get a brand new image of it, and try it again.
Hopefully you OWN a copy and aren't pirating it.
Not really. If you lock the image (in the Info pane) first, then mount it, your OK. If you don't lock it, you're screwed.

So, download the image, lock it, mount it (double click). Start Disk Utility, select the .dmg for the image (NOT the DVD sub entry) and hit burn. Nothing to it.

Edit: You only have to lock the image if it's bootable.

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
Yes, I own it. I bought it at 10 AM, and ran down to University Computers after my first class to get it. I am an avid fan of backing up everything.

How do you "lock the image in the info pain"?

bloodfist

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
If you have access to a PC you might want to try CloneCD. My Powerbook doesn't have a SuperDrive in it so I can't burn DVDs on it, but my PC does have a DVD burner.

I just put the Tiger DVD in my PC's DVD drive, used CloneCD to make and image and then burned it to DVD-RW to test it out, it worked perfectly.

Just another option.

-bloodfist

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
daveL said:
Not really. If you lock the image (in the Info pane) first, then mount it, your OK. If you don't lock it, you're screwed.

So, download the image, lock it, mount it (double click). Start Disk Utility, select the .dmg for the image (NOT the DVD sub entry) and hit burn. Nothing to it.

Edit: You only have to lock the image if it's bootable.

Why does this happen? What happens to the file if you try to mount it?
I've never tried to copy a bootable disk before so this is interesting news to me.

XNine

macrumors 68040
I think what happens is that certain invisible files make their way onto the image, since it isn't locked, from the finder. After trying to burn it, those invisible files interrupt the burning process, and will make your disc a coaster. That's the only logical explanation I have.

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
bloodfist said:
If you have access to a PC you might want to try CloneCD. My Powerbook doesn't have a SuperDrive in it so I can't burn DVDs on it, but my PC does have a DVD burner.

I just put the Tiger DVD in my PC's DVD drive, used CloneCD to make and image and then burned it to DVD-RW to test it out, it worked perfectly.

Just another option.

-bloodfist

Yes, I hate to mention the PC but it is very good at this and there are a number of programs that will do the trick with ease. So if you have trouble with the Mac, give the PC a shot and you can do it with no problem. I back up just about everything with the PC. My iBook struggles with this sort of thing whereas my desktop has no problems whatsoever. I'm sure that once I've made the official switch (desktop and laptop) I will find the Mac easier to use in this regard, but for now, the PC is quick and dirty ... and it works.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Dragging the dmg into Disk utility's sidebar works without having to lock the file (because the dmg never opens)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
7on said:
Dragging the dmg into Disk utility's sidebar works without having to lock the file (because the dmg never opens)
I kinda like to take a peak at the image before I burn it; read the README, etc.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
powerbook911 said:
So how do you rip a data DVD?

2 ways;
In Disk Utility: Highlight the disk you want to copy, click on the name, not the drive (ie., Session One) then hit "new image", on the save tab, click on "image format" and select CD/DVD Master then Save, and there is how to rip a Data CD/DVD.

In Toast: goto the Copy tab, then File -> Save as Disc Image, hit save and it makes a copy.

The only difference is the disc utility one will be .dmg and toast's will be .toast.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
rickvanr said:
2 ways;
In Disk Utility: Highlight the disk you want to copy, click on the name, not the drive (ie., Session One) then hit "new image", on the save tab, click on "image format" and select CD/DVD Master then Save, and there is how to rip a Data CD/DVD.

The only difference is the disc utility one will be .dmg and toast's will be .toast.

Many thanks! It works well.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
7on said:
Which are on the original DVD
Sorry, I missed something that wasn't explicit, to me, in the OP. I didn't have, and didn't assume the OP had, a physical DVD of Tiger. I just d/l mine from ADC overnight. I was also speaking in general, not specifically about the Tiger distribution. If it's important for you to correct, you've got it (don't know how you view a d/l image without mounting it, do you?).

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
if you mount the dmg, then unmount. then before mounting it again make sure it is locked. will it still be bootable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.