Is it possible to buy a G5 without…

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by manitoubalck, Oct 20, 2003.

1. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

1) RAM
    2) Hard drive
    3) Graphics Card
    4) Optical drives
    5) Cooling solutions for the processors (I might want a water cooling solution)
    6) Any other none motherboard or Processor components.
    (still need the case because the MB is mounted on the LHS)

Mac sell computer because there complete units. While this is good if you don't know a great deal about computers or how much you can pick up components elsewhere for. However it's no good if you want to build and customize your own system and have the benefits of the MAC OS.

2. manitoubalck thread starter macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

If your not sure what this is it's a water cooling system for CPU's

3. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I know for a fact that you have to go with the cooling that comes with the G5. It has a control unit on the Motherboard that takes care of the cooling. I heard that if the fans aren't dectected the computer won't start. I have not tried this myself (i have a dual G5) I don't want to harm the computer.

As for not getting the other components, I don't know, maybe, but I don't think so. Let me know if you find out though, I would like to know as well.

4. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I think it would be a huge mistake to mess with the cooling of a G5. IBM has done a lot if tweaking to get it just right. Doubt that waterblock would suppost the PPC 970 socket, and i dont think you can order a G5 without anything. Remember, the mac has a specific video card, so those 3 they offer are pretty much it, you would be risking bad things to try and slap a radeon 9800xt from a PC, apple sells computer, not parts, but you can order just a combo drive in the optical department. Maybe you can call and see about no optical no hard drive, if you try to pass yourself off as a bussiness, it might work, but to build your own G5 might be a bit foolish. On the bright side you can build a g4!

5. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

From other posts, you seem to be a fan of athlons. So I'd recommend you building 64 system ( If you think it will be cheaper. Last time i checked Single 2.2 athlon 64 from alienware costs $3300)

I think you can find many things like broken macs on ebay that may still have working motherboard and processor. Resellers may also have this sort of a goodies.

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Erm,
    1) IBM didn't design the G5's cooling
    2) There are plenty of Mac video cards (although the ones offered by Apple are the newest)

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Is it possible to buy a G5 without…

You'd have as big a chance of buying a G5 without RAM, Optical/HD, and video card as you would of finding an iMac for sale from Apple without the video card. ;)

While Apple may value the video card, HD, RAM, etc at a certain retail value -- if you try buying a stripped G5 you may only end up saving a few hundred bucks (because the the people removing the crap will still need to break even and/or make a profit).

But I'm sure somebody would be willing to sell it to you that way if you ask them, but Apple won't.

8. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

yeah, i realized that, but i do know the cooling system is very specific to the machine and not be messed with, and as far as the video card, if your build a G5 why saddle it with an old video card, so i figured he'd be trying for max performance, which is only avalible from apples 9800 pro.

9. VIREBEL661 macrumors regular

Mac's are typically really upgradeable but have to come at least with the basics. My advice at building a custom Mac is to get the lowest common denominator of components from Apple (hard drive size, RAM, etc.) but as much processor as you can. Actually this is the route I would take in buying a new Mac, say a dual G5 - I would get the highest MHZ or GHZ and proc config available, but get the cheapest RAM and Hard Drive solution, etc. and upgrade after I get it.

Many of the things (liquid cooling for example) are not available for something as new as the G5! This is brand new processor tech... these things will come in time, guaranteed! Edit: I'm going to be nice!

10. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

There's really not a large market for over clocking the G5. Honestly, I don't know why you are trying to do this except for maybe the cool factor of it??

BEN

11. manitoubalck thread starter macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

:) There is no doubting that I see the Athlon 64 as a better option, but only because it allows me to choose which motherboard/chipset/case design etc... I want. If I could buy a G5 with only 2 processors and a motherboard, that would interest me very much, because the mac OS in my opinion is still way ahead of windows, esp since WIN 64 isn't suppose to be released for some time.

Overclocking:rolleyes: maybe but the cool and personalised factor is what I'm after. But cool for two reasons.
    1: Water cooling for both CPU and VPU is more effective and Quieter (big plus + better performance)
    2: Looks funky

Also people seem to be having problems with the vacuum cleaner like power supply. I've used 500W power supplies that you can hardly hear.

12. manitoubalck thread starter macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Correct me if I'm wrong but OEM mac video cards are available from Ati and Nivida, but they don't come with a an ADC (no big loss)

I also think the 'Driver' for the video card would make more of a difference since I've seen PC graphics cards on some earlier G4's

13. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I'll agree that Mac OS is way ahead of windows (I get so frustrated by numerous small things here at work when trying to accomplish basic tasks), but there is an implication in the line I quoted from you that Mac OS is 64 bit, which it isn't and won't be for some time. It has a few 64 bit capacities, but its a stop gap solution at the moment. Mac OS is 32 bit still.

If thats not what you were getting at, just ignore me.

14. manitoubalck thread starter macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

No your right Panther is a "Filler" operating system with some 64-bit extensions to help the G5 make better use of it's capabilities. As I see it little or no benefit to those running non G5 systems. Just another $230AUD in apple’s pocket. Even though it has 'expose' and some other new gimmicks, one user can really only use one program @ a time, if they are really working. And with numerus apps open system performance would be severely hampered.

15. jamesatzones macrumors regular

The lowest you can go on a G5 is found on in the Apple Store, you can config a machine but it will have to have a HD, graphics card, RAM and cooling. I have had several clients wanting to buy a machine without RAM but Apple just won't do it.

Sorry!

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The last few people that asked about this got the answer we should have given him.

Buy the machine and sell the crap you don't want on e-Bay.

Most retailers won't go along with it because it'll instantly void the warranty in the dealer's shop, and if anything goes wrong the client will be pissed at the dealer for a DOA machine.

Used machines you may find some stripped boxes for older hardware.

17. illumin8 macrumors 6502

Dude, you are so obviously trolling with this response, but oh well, I've got time to burn so I'll bite... ;)

Panther is a "filler" operating system... if you call the following features filler:

• Full 64-bit math and system libraries - All programs use these so expect an increase in speed in all your software if you're on a G5.
    • Expose
    • Fast User Switching
    • Oh, and a completely redesigned Finder that is now multithreaded, so hopefully no more spinning beach ball of death.
    • And many more I just forgot to mention.

There is no way Panther is just a "filler" that adds a little 64-bit support for the G5. Panther is a pretty significant upgrade, at least as significant as 10.1 and 10.2 were.

18. manitoubalck thread starter macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

It's just a 64-bit extension

I think this is a bit off topic but I'll entertain it anyway

10.1 was a revolution, 10.2.X fixed most of the bugs, 10.3 (well lets wait and see)

It's no a true 64-bit operating system, and yes the features and improvements will be a beifit. so why not release them as a free upgrade? since all new macs will be shipped with it come this friday.

and just for you illumin8