Is it possible to change the startup sound in OS X.3.3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by advres, Mar 30, 2004.

1. advres Guest

advres

This may have been somewhere on this site before but I couldn't find it for the life of me. Sorry if this is a double post.

Anyway, I've looked everywhere and it doesn't seem possible to change the startup "bong" in OS X to something else. Am I correct on saying this or is there a way after all? If anyone has any information than PLEASE help me out.

Thanks in advance!

2. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

3. JamesDPS macrumors regular

4. Doraemon macrumors 6502

It has nothing to do with what version of the MacOS you're using. The startup sound is part of the ROM.

Besides, Apple would never change it or let you change it.

As for third-party tools, I have never tried and don't intend to.

5. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

that versiontracker link didnt get any good feedback on 10.3, so id reccomend against bothering with it. i thought it was in the firmware though :confused:

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The bong is specific to your hardware. It cannot be changed because they are machine specific. Macktracker is a program that tells you everything about every apple computer made. You can use it to listen to the starting bong of just about every one of them if you want. Mayby you could find one you liked :D .

7. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

You can download a pach to get rid of it at apple.com, but I don't know if you can change it.

8. advres thread starter Guest

advres

i tried the software from versiontracker before I bothered posting here. It didn't work so I figured this was my last choice. I like to solve problems by searching w/o asking for help but i guess i am screwed.

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Where is that? I can't seem to find it. :confused:

10. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Just out of curiosity, what were you planning on changing the Startup chime to? I remember a peecee friend had a sound bite that exclaimed: "F***ing Windows 98!"

11. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

12. lepwisk macrumors newbie

I seem to remember an OS9 app that buried the startup sound by automatically muting the speakers right before shutdown, and then unmuting them right after startup. Is this how the OSX patch works?

lk

13. advres thread starter Guest

advres

I don't want to turn the startup chime off I want to change it. I have Fruity Loops on one of my PC's and the startup sound of the app is just sick. Its all mechanical and powerful sounding so i figured it would be a dope startup sound for my powerhouse PB.