Is it possible to cheat the number of battery cycles?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 13rutal, Jan 31, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I am about to buy a secondhand MacBook Air from Craigslist and wondering if there is any possible way for the sellers to lie about the battery cycles as they do for car mileages. :mad:

Thanks for any opinions
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    They could easily change a screenshot via Preview, if that is all you get to get battery cycle information. As for anything else, probably, but then again, it may be too much work for someone not or only half versed in scrubbing shiny code.
  3. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well if they show you a screenshot as proof, they could have photoshopped it.
  4. macrumors 68040

Nov 3, 2011
    Just check it out when you purchase it - you know how to check it?
  5. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    For battery, IMO shelf life matters. Say ur buying a 2009 laptop and battery says 50 charge cycle only. Now IHO battery needs exercising just like a car engine that's left sitting.

How old is this laptop?
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2012
  7. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    Oh you are fine then. So it's about 6 months old, even if they guy discharge it everyday, doesn't amount to more than 200 cycles, not worth it to anybody to going into the trouble of rolling back the odometer.
  8. macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm now at 101 cycles and i bought this Air last July so thats about 15 charges a month (1 every 2 days)
  9. macrumors member

Jan 1, 2013
  10. macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2011
    No because in a car reversing reduces the mileage and going forward increases it. However in a battery both charging and discharging affect the cycle count.
  11. macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2011
    Endwell, NY
    Are you serious?
  12. macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
  13. macrumors 68020

Feb 17, 2011
    Spokane, WA
  14. macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2009
    I lol'ed hard at this :) Thanks for making my day.
  15. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012

U actually tried this didn't you? LOL!
  16. macrumors 6502a

Nov 4, 2012
  17. macrumors member

Jan 1, 2013
    Oh I found it! Cycle Count 7 on my Mid2012 MBA I got in Sept 2012. I guess I keep it plugged in mostly... Says Fully Charged capacity of 6758. I read somewhere it's supposed to be a 6800mah battery. Does it go down that fast after only 7 cycles?
  18. macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Jan 7, 2012
    Battery's in your MacBook are meant to fluctuate overtime. Search the forum for Battery FAQ to get a lot of questions answered.
  19. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery health and cycles and computer uptime, among many other things. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
  20. macrumors member

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks guys I'll read up. I have left laptops plugged in most of the time all my life.