Is it possible to create an extra dock? (OSX 10.4.8)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XP Defector, Mar 11, 2007.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Just wondering, it would be cool to have my HDs, Externals etc on a Dock on the right hand side insted of cluttering up the desktop.

2. Stadsport macrumors regular

As far as I know, no, but there's no reason you can't put those things on your current dock (and move it to the right side) and just hide them from the desktop.

3. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

Well you're right there is not, but the fact remains I still want two docks.

4. CaptainZap macrumors regular

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

There are third party programs such as A-Dock and Dock-it. I've tried them but they don't suit my taste that much. I'm currently trying DragThing which looks like more of a replacement dock, rather then an extra dock.

6. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I don't think there is a way, but it is an interesting concept.

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have said this for quite some time! see here- at the bottom of the first page

Basically there I say the following:
    Anyway, I wish I could have multiple docks built into OSX. I think Dock-it is the closest thing- maybe it has everything I want- can you hide each dock with Dock-it? Is it stable on Tiger? I think they will build it into the new OS at some point- would be so easy! My dock is getting so overcrowded and would be nice to have things grouped across multiple docs!

I think Overflow looks more like the old school Launcher than a dock!!!

8. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

I downloaded the demo of Dock-it, but it just wasn't the same as the OSX dock which just looks and feels awesome. Seeing as I've only got a MacBook, the dock can become quite crowded with icons, especially if you have a few programs running that are not docked, not to mention minimized ones that are. Like I said, I'd really find it helpful just to have my drives on the right because I've got quite a few (Mac HD, XP partition and two externals). I think this would be an excellent feature to implement in Leopard.

9. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

What I don't like about Dock-It is magnification. I wish it had this option.

10. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

maybe multidocks will be a feature im leopard/

11. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Hey, that overflow app is quite good, i kinda like it!

Plus my dock is tiny now!

I've assigned overflow to the buttons on the side of my mighty mouse. It works pretty well!

Attached Files: