Is it possible to download updates to burn to CD?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by coolbreeze, Dec 1, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

I am heading to Ann Arbor, MI for a 2 week business trip today. I am ready to bite the bullet and buy panther and I have a question about updates.

While at home now, can I download the updates to my iBook and burn them to a CD to install later? The reason I ask is I won't have a high-speed connection in the hotel.

I know I can use the connection in the Apple Store, but that will involve another trip after I install Panther...

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If the updates are not installed, just run Software update. Under one of the menus it says something like "Download but don't install". So then it stores them in a directory on your machine so you can install them later. You could then just burn them to CD.

3. joshuajestelle macrumors regular

Why can't you just install the updates now while you're at home?

Maybe I don't understand your question...

:-/

Josh

4. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry if I was unclear. I don't have Panther now, and there isn't an Apple store anywhere remotely close. I will buy Panther when I arrive in Ann Arbor this week. I just wanted to go ahead and take advantage of my broadband connection today before my flight. I am still running Jag, so I don't think I will be able to do this.

Oh well.

EDIT By the way, I see you live in Ann Arbor. Is it a fun city? I've heard nothing but negative things about Detroit, but people seem to say Ann Arbor is not that bad. I'll be there over the weekend, so I will definately be looking for something to do.

5. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Basically, he's saying he doesn't have panther yet, probably jag on his iBook, therefore ASU won't work to get the panther updates.

Apple at least used to have downloadable updates... I'll edit if I find them.

Edit: see http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/ and get the ones that are for Panther. This *may not* be all of them.

6. joshuajestelle macrumors regular

Ann Arbor is a great town.

Its true that Detroit is less than a sparkling wonderful city, but even Detroit has some good stuff to offer.

I can recommend the following websites for listings of area events:
    http://aa.mlive.com/
    http://www.arborweb.com/

Also, if you need some broadband there is a great coffee shop (which I'm at right now), on n. state st. (at n. university) near the campus, which has free wireless access for customers. It's called Espresso Royale Caffe. I'm here a lot so there's a good chance I'll be there =)

What are you doing in Ann Arbor? Here on business? What line of work are you in?

Enjoy your trip,
    Josh

EDIT: I've realized I probably should have just sent a personal message rather than posting this message to the forum. oh well.