is it possible to get rid of the dock?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by slipper, Dec 7, 2003.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

is it possible to get rid of the dock?

also does anyone know how to change the applications on the dock, i figured it out a few days ago but forgot.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

You can set the Dock to 'Hide' but I don't think that you can kill it all together.

Also, to add an application drag in onto the dock and the current items will move out of the way and drop it there. To remove, just drag it off, and 'poof' it disappears. Also works file and folders.

3. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Simple. Click and drag your apps in/out. I used to hate the dock. But now I find it useful. I miss it when I am at work.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It took me a while to get used to the Dock (I jumped from OS 8.1 to 10.2), but now I can't live without it :)

5. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

If you want to remove it, you can go into your CoreServices and delete the Dock file, but I DO NOT recommend it. In fact, I recommend AGAINST it.

6. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Without the dock, it would be very difficult to do anything. You need it to tell which apps are open and to switch between them. I know there are other ways of doing these things, but it just seems like an unnecessary pain to.

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Re: is it possible to get rid of the dock?

Search Versiontracker.com. There's a $10 app that will allow you to disable the dock. Don't remember what it's called though - sorry.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

10. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

it just seems that the dock is completely useless as all it does is display aliases and open applications. the desktop does a perfectly fine job of displaying aliases and OS9 did a perfectly fine job of displaying open applications in the upper right corner menu.

now my dock has only two items, the finder and trash and i will only use the dock for displaying open applications since there is no other means.

11. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

So, you hide all open applications, just to switch to the Finder and to find that one alias that opens a certain doc or app? :eek: The main advantage of the Dock is that it's always there. No need to hide whatever app or to switch to a certain one, just to find an alias that opens this or that. No, the Dock is always there for you to conveniently open whatever app or doc you put in it. I find it 100% indispensible. I miss it when I'm on Windows and Mac OS 9. Well, actually, I hate any OS not having the Dock now. To and for me, it has grown to be the one main advantage over any other OS; it rocks!

Well, that's just your opinion. But, I really think you should give the Dock a try. If you still don't like it after a month's use, find any way you like to kill it, but just don't give up on it now, already! I'm pretty sure it'll grow on you and, after a while, you'll find it (like most of all OS X-users) indispensible.

12. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Why on Earth would anyone want to get rid of the dock!?

Is the world really going that mad?

13. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Try this, with 10.3, you can APPLE-TAB between open applications. Also, dragging your hard drive down into the dock creates an alias with heirarchical text menus.

14. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

im not fully getting rid of the dock. im using it to display my open web pages/applications/documents but thats it. ill be using the desktop to display my aliases

15. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Sounds kinda messy to me :confused:

16. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

17. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

uses

Don't you use any applications? I find the dock to be a wonderful source of application management, among its other uses. I use it rather like I used to use the "Recent Applications" menu in os9. Just drag all the applications you frequently use into the dock, and there you go, instant access to any one you want. Unless of course you only use one application, which I wouldn't really understand.

Yes, I do know there is a recent items menu in X, but its so much easier to just clikc once down in the dock, rather than to open a pull-down menu, open the contents of the recent items, and then click the application you want... :)

18. illumin8 macrumors 6502

Huh? This didn't work for me. I think you must have done something else besides just drag your hard drive onto the dock.

19. m4rc macrumors 6502

There seem to be a lot of people wanting rid of or to hide the dock. I found it annoying that everytime I went near it with the mouse it expanded the icons, but I didnt want to change that feature as I like it. My solution was to put the curser to the left of the trash icon, hold control and scale the dock as small as possibl. Its still there, and I can just see whats open. Now when I need something the genie effect or whatever its called makes the icons big enough for me to see.

Marc

20. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You have to drag it on the right (eh.. opposite to left, I mean :p ) side, so on the "documents" side of the little line.

I love the dock! So easy and handy and looks pretty with all the little icons! I also drag my Home folder in it, and my Applications folder.
    It's gr8.

21. illumin8 macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's a cool tip. I was a little afraid to try dragging it over there so close to the trash can because I didn't know what would happen if you tried to eject your main hard drive.

22. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

This is what happens if you try to eject your Boot volume :) :

Attached Files:

23. dylanemcgregor macrumors member

I'm a mostly Windows user, but when I use a Mac the dock kind of frustrates me. It's a mostly good idea, but some of the implementation seems off to me. The biggest thing is I wish it was anchored to a corner of the screen instead of the middle. It would be nice to have the quick launch icons always in the same position on the screen, the dock would only need to expand in one direction for open applications. As it is now things kind of move around a little too much for my tastes.

I really like how I have my taskbar set up in XP. Next to the Start button I have the quick launch area. I have three small icons in this area a desktop icon, a browser icon, and a list that contains about seven of my most used applications. I really like the list feature because it doesn't take up any screen space, and this list is small enough to scroll through rather quickly. I wish Apple would take some of what I consider the best features of the taskbar and integrate them into future versions of the dock. JMHO

-Dylan

24. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

dylanemcgregor:

Totally not on the same page as me... IMO the taskbar is clunky junk compared to the dock.

BTW, you know you can just just throw anything into the dock you want?

Also you can unpin the dock and turn off magnification if you want. So you can anchor it ala windows style in the lower left hand of your desktop. That should stop all your movement.

25. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

you can also make it so the icons are as small, or smaller than the ones in the XP taskbar