Is it possible to hook up a TWAIN scanner in OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by diordna, Apr 17, 2003.

1. diordna macrumors newbie

I've got a TWAIN-compatible USB scanner that a company doesn't support any more. I forgot what the company's name is, but I'll post it when I get home.

Just wondering...

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yeah OS X supports TWAIN (finally)...

irmongoose

3. MarksEvilTwin macrumors regular

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Jaguar supports TWAIN drivers? I have an Epson scanner it would be compatible with jaguar with no spftware? it is USB I forgot the name of it also but when I get home I'll take a look at it. Did epson finaly come out with the drivers? It's about time if they did, if not then they should hurry up! :p :rolleyes:

5. MarksEvilTwin macrumors regular

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: i should restate...

Mark, that Epson 2400 should be fully compatible with Jaguar. It's listed under Apple's compatibility page as being usable with Image Capture.

Apple's Compatibility Page

7. MarksEvilTwin macrumors regular

8. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I am using an EPSON Perfection 1600 with the TWAIN drivers (in Photoshop, and as standalone) under 10.2.5. The only hiccup is that I can't leave the scanner connected and put the computer to sleep. When it wakes up, it says that "the scanner cannot be found on the port", and you can't dismiss the warning dialog. But if I disconnect the scanner first, put to sleep, wake and then reconnect when I am ready to scan - no problems. :confused:

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Mark,

I looked at Epson's site concerning the 1240 and they do have TWAIN drivers for 10.2 and above. I did notice that the "Scan to File" application wasn't available for the 1240 like it is for the 1250 and 1260.

Anyways, I'm glad I went for the Canon LiDE30 instead of the 1260. I installed the Canon Driver and they Toolbox and it works flawlessly. I even got the plug-in to work on Photoshop Elements so that I can scan directly from PE. It was almost too easy.

I guess we see which companies are fully supporting OS X and which ones are not.

10. MarksEvilTwin macrumors regular

11. jt23 macrumors newbie

check out VueScan

from hamrick.com. in my experience (with both a Canon ide 30 and Epson 1240), the shareware software is FAR superior to the TWAIN drivers.

and it's only like $40, which give you upgrades for life and the license to install the software on up to five computers.

12. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Re: check out VueScan

I have an Epson Perfection 636U scanner and I don't think it will work in Jaguar. And VueScan is around $70 bucks, thats why I would rather buy a newer scanner than a piece of software...

13. diordna thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, it's a Mustek 1200 UB Plus. Kinda old. We got it used. One problem: there's no "on" button. It just turns on when the TWAIN app launches on OS 9. Also, I don't know what to install, if anything.

Actually, there's another problem: the scanner is discontinued. So it may be pointless to try since there are no OS 9 drivers.

This isn't immensely important. My parents gave me the scanner for my birthday because it was cheap and a scanner would be good to have. I guess it wouldn't be too bad using Color It in Classic, but it would be much nicer using Image Capture instead.

BTW, I do get Macworld.