Is it possible to hot swap (with out AC) batteries

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Eniregnat, Jul 4, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Is it possible to hot swap (with out AC) batteries on any of the current portables?
    If not, isn’t this something that portable users want?
    I really hate having to shutdown to replace the batteries when I am not connected to an AC outlet.

2. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

This is something that old powerbooks are capable of-- I can't imagine they would repeal that feature. Then again, I have not heard anything about it in a long time, particularly from Apple's page... So I'd say likely, we need someone with a current laptop to test it.

Or you could just try it...

pnw

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

This was such a good feature.
    It used to be one of the features that I looked for in a WinTel laptop.
    Now that I am a Mac person, I just miss that feature and would think that Apple would see that users need it. It doesn’t have to be a second bay, it could some sort of short-term charge up (a capacitor) that is manually activated. I once had a laptop that could hold a charge when sleeping with out a battery for a minute or so. It was a nice feature.

4. macrumors 6502

The manual that came with my PowerBook G4 DVI said that it can hold a charge without a battery or AC power for up to one minute in sleep mode so that you can switch batteries. I never tried it though ;)

5. macrumors 604

iJon

i believe current powerbooks besides the 12 can do it. let us know what laptop you ahve.

iJon

6. macrumors member

My 17" can do hot swapping, haven't checked to see how long the charge lasts after you pull the battery out. Don't feel like rebooting... :)

7. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

ibooks cannot do this :)

8. macrumors 603

shadowfax

it worked great on my GHz Tibook just now, though i could have sworn i had tried it before and had it screw up. oh well. it is a nice feature!

9. macrumors 604

iJon

put your computer to sleep and take out the battery. if it stays on it works and will only stay one for about a minute or 2, which is more than enough time to slap another battery in there.

iJon