Is it possible to put a 3g face on the 5g?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by havenhamilton, Nov 25, 2005.

1. havenhamilton macrumors 6502

So my whole issue is that i love the look of the 3g ipod. Even more so i love the touch wheel. I think that the new ipods are very ugly and the click wheel is a waste of time (moving parts = parts that break). I started a thread about getting my 3g to have video out but it seems like that is impossible. So now I want to know if its possible to take a 5g ipod and put the face (front, touch wheel) of a 3g on it.Thanks

2. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Well... the form factors of the two devices are totally different, so I would guess that it's impossible.

3. croshtique macrumors 6502

Um.... I really doubt that it would be possible, given that the 3G has buttons in a wholly different place and all.

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I can only see 2 problems with this.
    1) you need to get the controls from the 3G to interface with the 5G's electronics. I don't know how they connect or whether they use the same interfaces so that needs some research.
    2) it will be a lot thicker than any ipod before, because on the 3G the face and the metal are about half the depth of the ipod each, on the 5G, the metal is all the depth and the face is just a milimeter or two. so in the end it would be about the thickness of a 5G plus the top half of a 3G, and even then the edges may not line up.

5. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

I have both a 3rd Gen and a recently purchased 5th gen. I really don't think there is anyway to do what you are suggesting becuase the front of each machine is so entirely different. The 3rd Gen. face would not beable to support a 2.5 inch video screen. Also, its curved and it would just be way too expensive to be rational. I like the 3rd Gen. face better as well, but I broke down and got the 5th Gen. anyway. I have to say I am loving it. It is much better than the 3rd. gen... I thought it would be relatively the same, but I was wrong. It is definatly worth it for anyone thinking about it.

6. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

You could try putting the 5G electronics inside a 3G body...

7. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

lacking common sense? if you're a young-en i understand.

i thought the same about the 5g's, stupid, big, blah. but when i actually picked one up, i was amazed on how thin and light the thing was. but it just doesn't suit me. you also can't think of "moving parts = parts that break", more like "more moving parts = more likely to break".

8. havenhamilton thread starter macrumors 6502

um... alright, thanks for the help, i guess.

For everyone else who responded, thanks a lot! what you posted was very helpful.

9. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

this has to be one of THE STUPIDEST posts ever...

10. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

While the 3g might have been cooler in that the buttons light up and there were no moving parts, the click wheel is far more in Apple's style. It is very intuitive and easy to use even when the iPod is in your pocket. I used my friends 3g for a bit and it was almost impossible to use if you weren't looking at what you were doing. With the new designs, you could leave it in your pocket and push the buttons through the fabric. It also doesn't require you to constantly move your thumb from the wheel.

11. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

alright, then dont read it, *&^% off.

12. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I have a slight hunch that the answer is going to be "no." :rolleyes: