Is it possible to put an external HD to sleep in OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oceanmonster, Jan 28, 2007.

1. oceanmonster macrumors regular

Is it possible to put an external hard drive to sleep in Mac OS X?

2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Doesn't the disk spin down when you are not using it?

3. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Just go to Energy Saver In System Prefs, and click the check box for "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible"

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It should spin down my FW drive does spindownHD tells you if it has spun down if you can't tell. Its in the developers tool kit.

5. Erasmus® macrumors member

quick question

Hi guys, just a quick question: whenever I try to modify something on system preferences -> energy saver (something like the "automatically reduce the brightenss of the disbplay before sleep") my changes go back t the original defaults and tu a "custom" energy mode. Is there any option I have to uncheck to make sure I can customize everything and keep it as I want it? thx!!

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I believe this behavior is by design. When you change some setting in Energy Saver, it lists your settings as custom. However, it shouldn't be reverting to the defaults - are you clicking Apply Now if the option to do so is available? If it isn't, closing System Preferences should be sufficient to apply the new settings.

7. Erasmus® macrumors member

solved

right, I follew your instructions, you seem to be right so far. thanks for the help!

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

[Link]

Even if only the 'Books are mentioned, it may seem like at least some iMacs are affected, too...

9. Erasmus® macrumors member

waaahh

oohh.. is this something tey can solve through software update? thx for the explaination!