Is it possible to remod a QS with an imac G3 mboard?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by emc2, Sep 8, 2005.

1. emc2 macrumors newbie

emc2

Aloha,
    A few weeks ago I pulled two working mboards from iMac G3s (a 350 and a 400DV) this week I saw an ebay add for a QS Tower from a 867 with all the trimmings but no mboard...in otherwords the QS case had combodrive/zipdrive and power supply but nothing on the fold down door. I was thinking that I could transplant my G3 mboards into this case (since the mac power supply is already there...and this is why the two iMacs failed to begin with) I am sure that I can't replicate the ports (FW&USB) but the imac mboard already has these....is there any reason that I can't Frankenmac the machines?
    Here are the pics of the possible host machines...
    Please, no flack about what I am tryng to do, only honest answers...
    -emc2

Attached Files:

2. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I don't think that the PowerMac power supply is compatable with the iMacs. Specially since it gives extra power to the motherboard for ADC, which the iMacs don't have. I think you'd have better luck trying to find a PowerMac motherboard for sale on ebay and to sell off the iMac ones. Or, if I dare say it, hacking an ATX motherboard and power supply into the case

3. emc2 thread starter macrumors newbie

emc2

BTW I am NOT a newbie, I used to have over 1-- posts and a great Albert Einstien image that adorned all my post ( to fit my moniker ) where is the f'in justice????

Do a search and you will find me?

any way thanks for the info, I don't think that I can get mkuch for the mboards on ebay, but does the xtra power to the AGP mean that it can't be used on a iMac mboard? Remeber this mboard also had to drive a CRT...

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Apple uses special PSUs. They are special made for each model.
    And you need 500 posts for an avatar here... Not 100+. :confused:

5. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    On the iMac the motherboard didn't drive the CRT, the power supply did. If it were at all possible it's beyond my knowledge, as you'd have to modify the contector on the powersupply to fit it properly.