Is it possible to reset your master password?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iEugene, Mar 11, 2007.

1. iEugene macrumors regular

iEugene

I've been putting this off for a while, but now I'm lost on how to go about reseting this password. I chose my master password about a year ago and barely used it since, now I want to change it but can't remember what it was even.

Apple.com's support said putting in OS X installiation disc, holding C and going straight to a menu that would enable me to do that, when I attemped to do this, OS X was trying to do a complete reinstallation of itself (which would erase all my files) which I obviously did not want.

Is there anyway to just reset the password? I know all of my account passwords but nothing about the master one.

Any help would be great.

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Maybe the one you use when you run software updates and install programs on your computer? :rolleyes:

3. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

Tried and tried, but for some reason when I use that password to reset the master password, it says it's incorrect. Which is why I'm so confused.

4. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

it is quite possible!

I'm guessing that you can't login because you forgot your password, so here is what you need to do:

Restart your computer and hold down command-s after the startup noise. This will put you into single user mode.

Start the system services by typing "/etc/rc" and pressing enter. This should start the services needed to change the password.

So pretending that your username is "someguy" then to change your password you would type "passwd someguy" and it would ask you for the new password that you want and you type it in twice!

again, startup into single user mode with command-s then:
    Code:
    /etc/rc
    passwd someguy
    Good luck, don't abuse this knowledge ;)

5. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

oh yea, and if you wanted to change the "master password" you would do:

Code:
    passwd root
    and add the new password at the password prompts.

6. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

I'll give it a shot i_am_a_cow, but the problem isn't not being able to log into my Mac (I'm on it now), it's not a big problem but here is what goes on.

I wanted to change it so I can have a fresh master password but then soon realized that no matter the passwords I used that I could remember (different passwords when I was changing them for my user account, I only have one account on my Mac, myself obviously) none of them worked. Even typing in my current password that I use when I update system software doesn't work, I get this error.

[​IMG]

The password that I typed in where it says "Type old master password" was the EXACT same password that I use for every other thing on my mac that asks for a password, yet it will not work here. It states that I'm spelling it wrong, and time and time again of trying multiple passwords in multiple caps and lows that I have used over time, none work, so I figured that the password that is my Master one was something I haven't used in ages and want to reset it.

That's essentially my problem.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

You'll need sudo access (so your own account needs to be in the admin group), but here ya go:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-37672.html

On the off-chance that you're a kid - as clueless as you probably think your parents are, they WILL notice. ;)

Edit: I've never used FileVault. The way that "hint" works (the URL I posted above) makes me less than confident in the level of security FileVault offers - it basically means anyone with physical access to the machine can get to your encrypted documents. This is not particularly well thought out; it leans significantly too far toward the "ease of use" end of the equation.

I really hope TrueCrypt comes through with their promised OS X port.

8. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

I'll give it a shot, I don't use FileVault. I'm not trying to lock away anything (don't even live with parents, ha) I just wanted it reset and something I can remember.

EDIT - Alright that worked fine, thanks a lot!