Is it possible to restore ONLY contacts from a back up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidnssbm, Dec 12, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

I'm downgrading my old iphone 3G to 3.1 so that angry birds works smoothly for my mom, but in the process of downgrading I realized I'm going to lose the contacts.

Any ideas?

2. macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Backup the contacts to your computer and wether your on a mac or pc you should sync your information once your completely downgraded and your contacts will be restored

:apple:
    -----
    Leet

3. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Several ideas:

Sync them to G-Mail now, then sync back to the restored phone.

Sync them to MobileMe now, then sync back to the restored phone.

Sync them to Yahoo now, then sync back to the restored phone.

Sync them to Apple's Address Book over USB now, then sync back to the restored phone.

Sync them to Microsoft Outlook over USB now, then sync back to the restored phone.

Sync them to...well...you get the idea. Whatever you have available to you, sync it with the phone now, then restore, then sync the phone with that particular thing again.

4. macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

5. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Like "Small White Car" said, storing your contacts outside of the iTunes backup is pretty simple.

I've used Yahoo and Gmail for this exact purpose. Just go to your phone in iTunes (connected by USB), and select "Info". Enable "Sync Contacts" and select what service you want to use. Enter username and password to that account and sync.

At this point, I'll often go to Gmail or Yahoo on the desktop to make sure that the contacts have been uploaded properly.

When you hook up the new phone, just repeat the process and sync. Sometimes I'll have to sync one more time.

This is also nice since it gives you an easy cloud backup of contacts should you ever loose your mind and decide to buy a non-Apple smartphone. ;)

6. macrumors member

There's an app for that

The app's name is PhoneCopy (free)

1.- Create a quick account on the app
    2.- Press the button to back up your contacts
    3.- Restore your iphone
    4.- Reinstall the app on your restored iphone
    5.- Open the app and login
    6.- Press Synchronize

And as with Yahoo and Gmail, you have a "cloud" back up. I found Gmail and Yahoo a bit too much for what I needed (maybe I didn't understand how to make it work), because they synced all of my contacts from Gmail (E-mail addresses from persons I don"t need in my phone), which I didn't want. So I found the phonecopy version much better and easy to use. Choose what suits you best.

7. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why do people not sync what they can sync?

8. macrumors 604

Mother of thread resurrection...