Is it possible to run an Xbox 360 through an Apple 23 inch HD display?

Discussion in 'Games' started by gangst, Nov 28, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Well I'm getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas (I think!), and I have a 17" HDTV, but I do not think it would be as enjoyable as playin Xbox in HD on my Cinema Display. Is there any way in linking the DVI port on the ACD to the port on the Xbox. I don't really have much idea here with what wires are needed I just think it would be great to be able to play Xbox 360 on a 23 inch screen and really get the most from it. Any suggestions in how to do this and what is needed.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm not 100% confident about this, but I think there is a VGA to DVI convertor, which you would need to get the xbox connected.

I've seen two, one was VGA to DVI Digtal convertor for around $600 and the oher was VGA to DVI (analog) for $18 A huge price difference and I'm not sure either will work.

3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

MadCatz is working on a DVI adapter for the Xbox360, which should be available in a few weeks. When that lands, you'll be able to use the Xbox360 w/ a 23" Apple Cinema Display.

Hope this helps.

4. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

hey does that mean theres hope of running PS3 with a 23 cinema?

5. TheGimp macrumors 6502

All you need in order to use the 23" Apple display with the 360 is the $39.99 vga-av cable supplied by microsoft but not typically stocked at most stores (ebgames will ship you one) and a dvi-i to vga adaptor, available at apple for less than 20 bucks. The adaptor is so cheap because dvi-i and vga are both analog signals, so no video conversion is necessary. An applecare representative told me that the apple displays support both dvi-i and the other dvi standard ("dvi-something" - the one used by video cards), unlike many dvi monitors which only accept the dvi digital signal. Apple displays support dvi-i in order to allow older ibooks (which only output vga) to use the displays.

6. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

7. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. It's been noted several times that the DVI connection on current Apple displays is only a digital connection, disallowing an analog input.

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

There's always hope. :)

9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Doubtful. iMac lacks video input.

10. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Well that just sucks. Looks like I'll have to go get a nice HDTV now.:rolleyes:

11. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

do you have a link for this?

12. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Looking for it. Will post it when I re-find it.

13. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

thank you... cause that will make my day... (well not day but it'll make me happy.... yeahhhhh)

14. ellixan macrumors newbie

ellixan

Ps3 Hd

Attached: PS3 I/O, according to the Sony E3 Press Conference.
    Not sure what AV Multi output is (do they mean the usual red, white, and yellow?), but it looks like you'll need a DVI - HDMI converter. The monster cable version runs about $50 at Comp USA.

Attached Files:

15. TheGimp macrumors 6502

I really hope you're wrong. The Applecare guy told me what I wrote above after checking the serial number on my aluminum 23" display. If he was incorrect, then my opinion of Applecare will drop down another notch, after having already dropped after my previous interaction with them.

One thing however:
    One of the techies at the Applestore told me that the aluminum displays can be used with the older ibooks. If that is correct, then chances are they do support the analog dvi-i.

16. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Does this mean the aluminum Apple Displays will work with the ps3, even though the Apple displays are not hdmi compliant? I mean, of course one can use a dvi-->hdmi adaptor (as does my girlfriend to go from a dvi cable box to her hdmi Sony TV), but I've read that going the opposite direction is problematic due to the copy protection scrambling inherent in the hdmi signal.

Anyone?

17. benpatient macrumors 68000

if the PS3 is actively enforcing the HDCP part of HDMI, then no, it won't work, because the current ACDs whether they take an analog signal or not (which i doubt, by the way), do NOT have the HDCP "handshake" hardware necessary to be the recipient of an HDCP-encrypted digital video signal.

Of course, this is true of more than 99% of the monitors that have been released in 2005, and probably way more than the majority of 2006 monitors as well, so good luck on that. I have an 8th generation Panasonic 50" plasma that doesn't have HDMI (by choice) but does have VGA. the optional HDMI add-on board costs as much as a PS3 probably will, and I'm very happy with 720p over VGA or component, so I'll have to pass on the PS3 if it doesn't support either HD over component analog or VGA analog.

18. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Actually just a straight no. Unless you want to take out a soldered connection to the monitor.

19. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Well there are ways to get video into the iMac (such as a TV tuner or analog video capture device), but none of them are really optimal.

20. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Hi, sorry to be off topic (xbox 360) but i was wondering if there is anyway to play gamecube (normal composite cable) on my iMac G5?

i know there is the EyeTV EZ but i heard it has slight lag, which is no good for playing video games really.(if anyone has this and uses this for playing video games on Mac please let me know)

i dont want to have to buy an iMac display (my TV is too old and large to fit in my new room (moved for uni)), im a poor student : ]

thanks for any help.

21. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

This is the only way that works, as there is no video input on the iMac, as stated a few posts up.

22. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is the video signal given out from the Xbox 360 analog or digital then?

23. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

ah i see, ok.

well, if i were to get a cinema display, would i be able to play gamecube on it? in other words composite cabl or scart?

sorry, i dont really know much about this stuff.

24. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh come on! I know you probably really want to find out if it is possible to do that, but this thread is based around running an xbox 360 on an ACD not a gamecube. If you really want to know start a new thread!

25. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

sorry dude, im new here didnt want to start a new thread on something that is probably allready mentioned somewhere.
    i'll go search now.

peace