Is it Possible to Take an iMac G5 off its Stand?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ClarkeB, Feb 13, 2005.

1. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

I would like to remove my iMac G5 from its foot and be able to hold it as just a screen. Is it possible to take the screen from the stand without damaging the computer (and making it able to put it back on)? Thanks in advance
    :)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You want to carry it around? Have you felt the weight of these things??

3. ClarkeB thread starter macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Yeah...it's kind of heavy, but I like to be able to move it around and use it from the couch but having the resolution really low makes it pain so I want to be able to hold it in my lap.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't know what to say :eek: wow.

5. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Why dont you say WHATS WRONG WITH YOU! Bur it could turn out to be cool though ;)

6. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

While it wasn't meant necessarily for the purpose you propose, yes, you can take it off the stand. See the website for the mention of mounting on a VESA stand. However, I can't say how easy it is to go back and forth.

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

err...well, mind the optical drive and hard drive. i prolly wouldnt watch any movies or even have a disc in there while sitting on the couch. not to mention desktop hard drives not being exactly designed for movement. back up frequently i'd say if you do that.
    btw, the imac g5 has a 180 watt power supply. ever used a laptop that has that beefy a power supply? they get hot as hell. for instance i've used my friends alienware (i think, maybe something else?) with a 180 watt power supply and it was unusable on a lap.

8. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

How will you be able to use the mouse and keyboard with a 20lb iMac on your lap. Maybe you should get an iBook, it weighs 16lbs less. :)

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I was trying to imagine sitting on a sofa, iMac 20" balanced on (and crushing) your lap with no support because your hands are needed for mouse and keyboard, and an extra long power cable...it's just weird.

*cough* laptop *cough*

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Having a 20 lb iMac with a keyboard and mouse on your lap would eventually get annoying, but what happens when you need to go to the potty in an "emergency!"! :p

11. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

or he could just watch divx movies or something with it on his lap. no typing needed.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This is one of the weirdest threads I've seen for a while.

Take one beautifully-designed and manufactured G5 iMac costing well over $1000 and weighing about 20lbs and pull it to bits so you can use it on your lap?

There are so many reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea, all detailed by the estimable MR members above. Doing something like that to it would also dramatically decrease its resale value...

What about using something like this. Or selling the iMac and getting a laptop instead?

13. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Assuming this thread is semi serious... isnt one key issue that the iMac is designed to take advantage of gravity in dissipating heat rapidly from a vent along the top of the unit, an affect that would be disrupted by having it lying horizontal on your lap?
    Vanilla

14. ClarkeB thread starter macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Well there's got to be a way cos it can be VESA mounted. I mean...the back of the computer isn't very hot, and the keyboard could be rested either on its chin or just below it with the mouse to the side. i dunno...it was a quirky idea of mine. :D :D

15. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

why not just sit your tv on your lap with a mac mini hooked up to it? and as far as someone mentioning an emergency trip to the potty, fuhgeddaboudit! once this setup heats up enough your genitals will fall off and you can just go as you please without paying any mind. have fun you psycho. by the way this is me being entirely pessimistic.

16. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I have said it before and I'll say it again thats what the iPotty is for (it also reusable). ;) :rolleyes:

Sorry :eek:

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Seriously?

Dude, a computer off of its stand is called a laptop. Buy one.

18. ClarkeB thread starter macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Jeez...I was just asking a question and I get a bunch of sarcasm and plain rudeness! I mean...why buy a $1000 iBook when I already have a computer. It's not like I'm going to be carrying it around, etc. It's just for when I'm not feeling well (like today) and don't want to have to be sitting at the computer and would rather be on the couch. I guess I will have to figure it out on my own...thanks for the helpful comments!

19. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

As many people said it could be extremely hazardous to the computer.

And your welcome. ;)

20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Solution...

Why don't you get a BT keyboard and mouse...and just set the iMac on the coffee table in front of you?

21. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Having a 20" screen a foot or so from your eyes is a very bad idea. Having the iMac G5 in a horizontal position will only over heat the computer and might cause damage. Having it rest on your lap with all that heat will ruin your future possibilities as well. ;) :)

How many ways can people say this is a BAD IDEA? :)

22. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Picture in my head

OK - picture this with me.

Take one of those lap pillow things - connect to it a triangular tent (a metal rectangle bent in the middle say, 30 degrees) with a hole in it for the power chord and a "bumper" about 2 inches in front of the tent to keep the iMac from slipping down.

Someone with some capital - go do it! Maybe LTA could sell it alongside their iLugger bags (designed to make the iMacG5 more portable.)

I drew a pic, but I can't figure out how to post it here. ;)

That said, not doing it with my new iMac G5. Yup - it's going to travel with me quite a bit (to work for the week and back home on weekends), but it'll be going securely from table to table.

As fer taking the foot off - there are special VESA tools, I guess, for doing it. Not sure where to get them without buying an actual new mount.

Good luck!

23. ClarkeB thread starter macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Got BT kb + mouse

I'm actually planning on buying that once I can justify the $250-$300 for the actual arm (I want one like the iMac G4)

24. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Now guys, let's be nice.

Seriously thought, it could be dangerous to your genitals or your iMac. Prioritize.

25. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Should this thread be merged with the PowerBook-Hot testicles one-Low sperm count one??????