Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

I may want to buy a MacBook after I sell my ibook G4. Is there a way to store (away) all the information in my ibook G4, including things like the bookmarks on safari. So after it gets sold and I get the new Mac Book, I can place all that information into my new computer ?? or the only way to do that is waiting for the new MacBook and then selling the ibook G4 ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav.

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
The best way is to use an external hard drive to do a straight dump of all your information, as well as exporting your bookmarks (I'm assuming that you don't have one). It works really well if you do it with OS 10.5 and Time Machine. However, depending on the nature of your transaction, you can get the MacBook and the iBook together and transfer the stuff from one to the other via firewire, although I suspect that you're selling the iBook to get the MacBook. The best way though it to use an external hard drive.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Because I want to keep the price of the ibook down, my OS X is 10.4.11 now. However, I do have an external HD. How could I transfer all the info ?? Could you please perhaps point me to the link of a tutorial ??

Thank you very much again,

igmolinav.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I think that all you need to do is plug the external hard drive into your iBook, and drag the Macintosh HD icon to it. If you have a lot of content, it may take awhile to transfer. Then when you get your macbook, plug in the external hard drive and drag everything from it to the icon on your MacBook that says Macintosh HD.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Thank you again for your answers : ) !!!

You... want to get less money for it?

What I meant to say was that I don't do the OS X update myself from 10.4.11 to 10.5 That update may be done by the ibook's G4 new owner.

Kind regards,

igmolinav

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
Hi.

You might find this page useful.

Also there are a host of back-up options here

If you could find a friend with a spare leopard license from a family pack, you could upgrade to leopard and use time machine to back things up to your external. It would make things a lot easier when you come to restore.

Then you could format the ibook before you sell it.(not forgetting to pass on the install disks of course.)

jmann

macrumors 604
Easiest way

I did this like a week ago when I bought a new hard drive. I just downloaded CarbonCopy (because you have to pay for Super Duper) and created a "bootable backup" of my MacBook. Then test the backup by holding 'c' when you start up your computer and choosing that drive. Then when you run the leopard installation/setup you can choose to "Migrate" your info and pick that external drive. Just make sure that the drive is plugged in before you start running the setup. They make it as easy as possible.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Eldorian has the answer, and it's free (jmann4489). You only have to pay to get advanced features. Do it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.