###is it possible to upgrade a pci slot to pci-x###

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by minkis, Dec 14, 2004.

1. minkis macrumors regular

i am considering getting a power mac g5 and i'm hearing about how the new video cards will be pci-x instead of just pci and i don'thave the money to get a dual 2.0 or 2.5 so i was wondering ifi could just get a single 1.8 and add or convert my pci slots into pci-x slots. thanks

oh yea and if you have a powermac g5 you are willing to let go you can post that too. thanks

2. vashim66 macrumors member

First of all, no you cannot upgrade a PCI slot to PCI-X.

Secondly, the powermacs do not use the PCI-X slots for their graphics cards, they use an AGP slot. AGP slots are currently being phased out for PCI Express (PCIe for shot) not PCI-X, which is entirely different.

3. minkis thread starter macrumors regular

oh ok so would i be ok on the major technology changes for awhile if i got a single 1.8ghz

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

All depends on the motherboard you have, the Rev. A PowerMac G5s used the same motherboard as the PCI-X PowerMacs -- which means they do have a PCI-X HT Tunnel, it's just crippled to run at PCI speed.

Could be a resistor setting or a firmware setting, don't know.

But it's rather like the PowerBooks vs. iBooks and the Pro-machine having spanning and the consumer doesn't even though it's the same chipset, and sometimes even the same graphics chip.

---

The Rev. B machines don't use the same motherboard -- they don't have a PCI-X HT Tunnel and use the PCI bus on the KeyLargo 2 chip.

The SP Rev. B machine uses the iMac G5 board -- so likewise no way there.

---

On the Rev A machine you'll need to find out who made the PCI-X HT Tunnel and how to convert it from PCI to PCI-X speed, if it's an AMD-8131 chip...

There is no physical difference in the slot, the SP PM 1.6 even has a PCI-X HT Tunnel, it just operates at PCI speed locking out the 100/133MHz PCI-X speeds.

The on-line .pdf for the AMD-8131 has a chapter on how to configure the PCI-X HT Tunnel...

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do your threads get more attention by having %%%%/####/!!!!!!!!/@@@@@@ in the title? :p :D

6. minkis thread starter macrumors regular

yea for the most part, i have an ibook up in classifieds and it's already gotten over 1150 to look at it and it only been up about a week or so

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The annoying symbols could be the reason nobody is replying, even with the constant price drops, bumps, etc...

8. minkis thread starter macrumors regular

i never said it didn't get replies youre probaly looking at the one the is open, the one i'm talking about is closed but it had a little over 20 and the reason the price droped is b/c i might be able to make up the deffisat. and if the symbols don't work, what brought you here.

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

bahahaha

10. minkis thread starter macrumors regular

oh yea i forgot to post that i just got a single 1.8 so i guess it doesn't matter anymore. thanks

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

So your sig needs some changing?

12. minkis thread starter macrumors regular