Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aaron.lee2006, Jun 18, 2006.

1. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to have Windows XP on an external HD so I can just plug it into the computer when I want to use it? I would like to conserver as much space as i can for OSX. Thanks in advance,

--Aaron

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Simple answer: No.

Unlike most modern OSes, Windows doesn't like to boot from removable media. It has to do with its reliance on BIOS and the fact that the USB and Firewire drivers are not continually loaded throughout the boot process, although there is a workaround that might work for XP.

The simple workaround is what I have a small XP partition (10 GB) and everything else I can on an extenal...

B

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

V.True

The only other owrkaround is have OSX on an external drive, and windows on your internal. But I wouldnt recommend that. The blance maybe to create a very small partition 5gb and use that to install windows. But then use your external drive in windows (drive D:) and use that to install all further programs into.

4. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I'll probably just upgrade the hd on the macbook to 80 so I can have a few games on the windows side and all my school work and stuff on osx, i just hope reson won't take up too much space.