Is it possible...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by El Duderino, Jun 11, 2004.

1. El Duderino macrumors member

is it possible to upgrade the harddrive or video card on a 15"PB without doing a BTO option, i have the ability for a sweet deal from bestbuy and makeing a BTO computer isnt and option. thank you.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The hard drive can be upgraded by a compentent Apple Service person (or by you if you don't mind voiding your warantee). As it's a laptop it does not have a video card. The video chip with it's RAM is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be upgraded.

3. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

The latest PBs have BTO option on video memory size. I don't know if it can be upgraded after purchase. Good luck to you. :)

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

The BTO for the video card is a once or never type of deal. It is soldered onto the board, but apple just ships you a different board.

BEN

5. reaper macrumors 6502

The bottom line is probably that whatever you save on the initial purchase will be more than put back into the Apple Tech working on the laptop and installing the new harddrive (that is, if you don't want to void Apple's warranty as previously posted) - don't even think about the video card, you can't change it. My advice is just pay a little extra and order right from Apple if you really need these things as it's a much safer route to go.

- reaper

6. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Don't forget about external drives if you need more space later =)

7. El Duderino thread starter macrumors member

the only reason im not buying through apple educational discount is becuase i work at best buy and i get it for just a little bit more than the edu. but also my dad has about 1000$ in gift cards for them so theres really no beating a $1300 spankin new 15" 1.5ghz powerbook with a bestbuy service plan that COVERS THE BATTERY! :D

8. reaper macrumors 6502

Good lord, what are you waiting for!!! :D

- reaper

9. El Duderino thread starter macrumors member

next month when theres room on my dads credit card

10. overheated macrumors member

hang on a sec....

you mention that you are getting the service plan at BestBuy to cover the battery life on the powerbook. through all of my investigations including talking to the local store manager (who is my tenant) Bestbuy is not selling service plans on the apple products. i did also call the online stores help number and they confirm this fact. do you know something that i haven't been able to find out? :confused:

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

dont worry about the vram it dosent make much of a difference. maby 1-3fps difference in games

pop a 7200rpm 60GB HD in there asap, you can pop the old one in when you want the warrenty

(if you want service manuals i can sent them to you over ichat hectoruk@mac.com)

12. El Duderino thread starter macrumors member

nevermind then. i was think that its was no differant than anything else where i could just get the plan later, although theres a good chance i could just get one instore anyway, o well, its still 1000$ off. but now im still on the edge a bit, for what i plan on doing with a laptop i think it would be a bit better to get the Toshiba Tablet pc for taking notes etc. when im in class. atleast i have another 2 weeks to change my mind again. :D

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But you can't run OS X on a Toshiba :eek:

Word Notebook to the rescue! :D