Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ecodisk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Portland, OR
A certified refurbished mac? Or is there some major downside to getting one that I should know about? I have no problem with getting a used computer if it saves me some money.

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
If you're getting it through the Apple Store then there should be no problem. In fact, the refurbished models have probably been subject to more attention to make sure they're working!

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
croshtique said:
If you're getting it through the Apple Store then there should be no problem. In fact, the refurbished models have probably been subject to more attention to make sure they're working!

im not sure how much extra attention they get . . . i just (2 months ago) got a 15" PB refurbished from apple. when it arrived you could see that the keyboard was not on flat, some keys were higher than others and it looked like it was very poor quality. then some of they keys would stick when pressed then pop back up a few seconds later. so i dont know how that got by any quality control. but the advantage to having a refurbished computer from apple is that it has the FULL warrantee of a normal new computer (90 full coverage then 1 year hardware) so i was able to get my keyboard replaced for no charge and everything is great now.

so my point is . . . refurbs are good as long as you get them from apple(so you have the full warrantee and service of apple). its a great way to save money.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
Ecodisk said:
A certified refurbished mac? Or is there some major downside to getting one that I should know about? I have no problem with getting a used computer if it saves me some money.

Make sure that those refurbs. come from an authorized and reputable store or reseller. The best route would be through the apple store. Most of those refurbs. from apple come with a pretty decent warranty and you can get apple care for them as well. All in all it's a good deal.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
wPod said:
im not sure how much extra attention they get . . . i just (2 months ago) got a 15" PB refurbished from apple. when it arrived you could see that the keyboard was not on flat, some keys were higher than others and it looked like it was very poor quality. then some of they keys would stick when pressed then pop back up a few seconds later. so i dont know how that got by any quality control. but the advantage to having a refurbished computer from apple is that it has the FULL warrantee of a normal new computer (90 full coverage then 1 year hardware) so i was able to get my keyboard replaced for no charge and everything is great now.

Oh man thats weird, same exact thing was wrong with my 12" refurb PB. Like you they replaced my keyboard free of charge, but stupid me I didn't test every key after they did it, and when I got it home, at least 12 keys or so aren't working, still haven't gotten around to getting it fixed again since my nearest apple store is over an hour away. :(

But dispite this problem, I still reccommend refurbs as well (from apple.com anyways). Every Mac I have bought, and most of my family has bought have been refurbs, and they have always been totally worth it. And if you get a desktop system they even seem to always give you brand new keyboards and mice, so thats always nice.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
I've purchased a 15" iMac G4 and a 15GB iPod from the Apple refurbished store in the past 2 years and both have been wonderful.
I would have done the same with my 15" PowerBook, but I got an educational discount for about $50 more (and without waiting for them to get the new models in the refurb store).

Good luck,
reality

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I saved around $400 by getting my dual 2ghz power mac as a refurb, and I got the better motherboard. The first one came in DOA, wouldn't turn on. They quickly sent me another one, within a week of when the dead one came in, I had another that worked. Plus, I got upgraded, 128mb vid card instead of 64, 1gb of ram instead of 512mb. Apple refurb is the way to go. I'm not even sure I'll buy a new one again unless I ever hit it rich or something.

Of course, I recommend (wether new or refurb) getting apple care.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I just bought an iMac G5 Rev B 17" from the Apple store (my son already had the 20" version of same that we bought new) and it is perfect in every way so far. I have been very pleased with it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You can save some money with a refurbished system from Apple, but you have to be willing to go get your free replacements (or a repair) if parts of the system aren't in shipshape order.

Paying for a new system gives you convenience over buying a refurb, even if they both (eventually) work perfectly. Even with a full warranty, you get more peace of mind with a new system, and that's worth more to some people than to others.

Of course, sometimes a new system needs to go back to the shop too, but you are always playing the odds with purchases. The odds for a hassle-free purchase are higher with a new system, and higher for an Apple refurb than for a refurb from a lesser-known company, but you pay for that difference.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
A got a refurb iMac and I whole heartedly recommend it. Mine came with double the RAM, more HD, and BT...which wasn't advertised.

Completely covered under same warranty.

Sometimes refurbs are just returns that someone decided they didn't want. It doesn't necessarily mean it was a repaired product.

wiggy4ever

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2005
even for the same money, i think refurbs might at times be the better purchase because they traditionally go through more testing and therefore have a lower chance of them being DOA

robszabo

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2005
I work at Apple, and I went through training in the building where they refurbish computers. Based on what I saw during my time there, I would buy one without hesitation.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Refurbs should always be considered when shopping around. There can be some big savings, and they come w/the same warranty as a brand new unit.

Lethal

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Apple refurbs are generally excellent, but I would stick to current models only.

If you qualify for the education discount, then I wouldn't bother and i'd buy new for roughly the same price.

A 1.33 GHz 12" iBook for $799 is a great deal because you get all the current features at a savings of $200.00

A refurbished REV A iMac or a single processor 1.8 PowerMac would NOT be a good deal.

There are some models you need to watch out for, but in general it's the best way to save money.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Refurbs are a great deal. I got my eMac and it came with a 160GB HD, instead of the advertised 80GB and came with 512MB RAM, instead of the advertised 256MB. I've had it over a year now and it's been completely trouble free. My friend bought a refurb iBook and he's really happy with his, as well.

Sathos

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2005
Alberta, Canada
I have a question, and thought I'd dig up this thread instead of starting a new one. For a while I was thinking of looking for an iBook G3 just for personal use, to carry around because my family's PowerBook G4 isn't allowed to leave the house (parents' orders). However, looking on the U.S. Apple Refurb site, I could easily buy an iBook G4 instead. The only problem is, I'm in Canada. Will Apple ship refurbed Macs to Canada?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.