is it safe to buy low price powerbook at amazon.co.uk?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ononon, Feb 23, 2005.

1. ononon macrumors newbie

I saw a powerbook posted in amazon.co.uk:brand new PowerBook G4 - PPC G4 1.33 GHz - RAM 256 MB - HD 60GB - CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo - Mdm - LAN EN, Fast EN, Bluetooth, 802.11b,802.11g - MacOS X 10.3 - 12.1" TFT

For 650pound including shipping.

but the normal price for this powerbook is more than 900pound. I am not sure about this powerbook's quality. anyone tell is this trusable?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Go back to the page where you saw it.
    Copy the link from your browser address bar and paste it into a post here...

We can then all have a look at this bargain and give you our 2 cents worth.

3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

not having seen the link...

if it is being sold directly through amazon, it is totally fine. if it is being sold through a third party vendor, you should check amazon's policies about what happens if something goes wrong, and how long this vendor has been selling through them (and their seller rating, if applicable).

4. BigDogg macrumors member

BigDogg

I agree, I would not think twice buying from Amazon, a reliable company,if it is through someone else though...You know what they say when it sounds too good to be true.. :cool: :rolleyes:

5. BigDogg macrumors member

BigDogg

I agree, I would not think twice buying from Amazon, a reliable company,if it is through someone else though...You know what they say when it sounds too good to be true.. :cool: :rolleyes:

post a link so we can have a looksy

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I seem to remember Amazon advertising 17" powerbooks for $99,000 so I would check its the right price.(reading back this post I realised I'd made a typo and said 17 foot PB now that I'd like to see and the price would be about right :D )

7. ononon thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't find the original link, but i did email seller, he replied he is
    affiliated at Amazon Square Trade. I do not know is this help.

Here is another low price powerbook: Apple PowerBook G4 - PPC G4 1.33 GHz - RAM 256 MB - HD 60 GB - CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo - Mdm - LAN EN, Fast EN, Bluetooth, 802.11b, 802.11g - MacOS X 10.3 - 12.1" TFT

sale for 800 pound, the link is :http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B0002B7P6O/all/202-0125164-9545417

Thx for all your helps

8. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

looks good to me
    i've purchased higher priced items from amazon before
    (a pb 12" and an ibook 12")
    and also sold such items there
    it is easier than e-bay in my opinion-

reguardless- i checked the guy's feedback
    and for the most part looks ok

i'd e-mail him and ask for pics?
    have him stick in a sock or something 'personal' so u know it is real.
    just say ur courious if there are any large dents or anything..etc

if he doens't do it- than it's fake
    if he does- then it's prolly real

9. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

like i said before, i would also think about either checking amazon's site carefully or giving them a call to check what their policy is re: third party sellers. never hurts to be thorough.

10. Lau Guest

This was a while ago, so I would also advise checking Amazon's policies very carefully, but I bought something for £25 from a third party Amazon.co.uk vendor, and it never showed, and the seller didn't respond to emails. He had good feedback when I ordered. However, Amazon had a policy that they would refund your money after 30 days if it didn't show up, and after them trying to contact him with no luck, they refunded what I'd paid out. So it was all fine in the end, but I would be aware that they only let you claim for this 3 times in your life! I presume this is to prevent fraud. It also was a bit of a hassle, and you're out of pocket for a month or two if it goes wrong, so it might not be worth it.

11. ononon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for all ur advise, i finally decide not to buy it. I think it is a fraud, 1, that seller always ask me to contact by eamil, 2, that post on amazon is disappeared, 3, it is not safe to buy thru a third party.