Is it safe to delete fonts from User folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bern, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I have a fair few duplicate fonts. I opened Font Book and did a "resolve duplicates" which of course resulted in a number of duplicated fonts being switched "off".

What I noticed is these duplicated fonts have one each in the /System/Library/Fonts folder as well as the User/Library/Fonts folder.

What I would like to do is delete the duplicated fonts (using Font Book to do it) from my User/Library/Fonts folder. Is that safe?

I noted the ones that are switched off are the System fonts but I assume if I delete the fonts from my User fonts folder those can be switched back on?

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Here's my advice:

DON'T F*** WITH THE FONTS!

Fonts, along with RAM, are the two main reasons OS X ever goes psychotic. Adding fonts? No problem. Removing originally installed fonts? BIG problems.

I would say "no." Seriously, don't mess with them. It's bad juju.

3. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

Yeah I suspected this would be the standard response and you're probably right. I think I'll just leave well alone.

Thanks.

4. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Though this is true for System Fonts, fonts in the user home directory can be deleted without fear.

5. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

Investigating a little deeper I have noticed the fonts in my User folder (which are enabled as opposed to the System equivalents which are disabled) are actually a newer version. So I might just leave them all where they are.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

All fonts in the /User/Library/Fonts folder can be deleted. Those are usually user installed fonts. OSX installs defaultly without any fonts there. Apple has a list of fonts that install in the /Library/Fonts folder. Tiger handles fonts better than Jag did. I remember deleting fonts and things like Address Book wouldn't open and iChat lacked text anywhere. If you delete all OSX's fonts all programs still function because Apple put in a System/Library/Fonts folder. Except for Terminal I believe. That app needs Monaco.

7. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

8. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

If only anything in the /Users directory was a system file... :rolleyes: