Is it safe to use an iPad charger to charge the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reiger, Jun 29, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

I'd like to use an iPad charger to charge my new iPhone 4. However, only if this won't damage the iPhone. I know that the iPad charger provides more power, so this will charge the battery faster. Is this harmful? Both chargers have the same USB connection.

I can't find any Apple Support page about this issue. Using Google I can only find people who want to use an iPhone charger to charge the iPad, which is ok but slow. Both the iPhone 4 and the iPad are not yet for sale in the Netherlands, so calling Apple didn't work.

I hope someone with the same issue, can help me :)

2. macrumors newbie

On apples website it says the charger works with all ios items. I've done it since April, and nothing bad has happened to me.

3. macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I've used it with my 3GS and never a problem

4. macrumors regular

jashsayani

Should be fine. I use my iPhone charger for all Apple products I have.

5. macrumors 68030

WardC

Short answer, Yes. I use my iPad charger for my iPhone and all my iPods, no problems at all.

6. macrumors 6502a

The iPad charger has a higher output wattage (I think 10 watts) due to the iPad having hefty charging requirements. However it is perfectly fine to use the iPad charger with iPhone. If anything it'll likely charge the phone a bit faster.

7. macrumors member

Yes, it is! In fact it's safe to use the little iphone charger to charge the iPad too. If you take apart the charger, you'll notice there's a USB controller in there. The chip negotiates the maximum safe current with the device.

8. macrumors member

I do it all the time, and it does seem to charge the iphone faster than the iphone charger.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

Great! Thanks for all the replies!

10. macrumors 65816

I just wish Apple would have made the iPhone 4 fit into the iPad dock, like the 3GS does.

11. macrumors newbie

Let's look at the relevant science.

Ohm's Law: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_Law

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volt

That tells us what the 5v x 1 or 2A translates to. It would indicate that twice the wattage is coming out of the iPad charger (W=V*A) and twice the current (I=V/R).

As I understand it, the block acts as a transformer: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

So, it takes the 120V*15A=1800W power from the outlet and converts that power so that it will be transmitted at a much lower rate, giving the device less of that wattage.

I'm not sure if the earlier post by someone was trying to say that the iPhone has a particular resistor of it's own and so any different level and rate of power would simply dissipate, but wouldn't that still be stressful on that resistor?

I think, in the end, one would be better off spending the couple of bucks for an iPhone charger.

If there was absolutely no difference, then why would they make different chargers with different values? There would only be a need for stronger chargers for larger, more powerful devices, but the inverse (using that more powerful charger for a smaller, less powerful device) wouldn't make any sense.

Just use the corresponding charger.

12. mortenandersen, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

macrumors 6502

Back to the first question, please!

Back to the first question again, please: Is it safe to use an iPad charger to charge the iPhone 4?

This last post above is confusing in the light of all the contrary experience from the other posts.

13. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes it is safe. If u buy an iPad charger from apple the box states it's for the iPad iPod and iPhone.

14. macrumors 6502

IS it safe to necro year old threads?

15. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually it is, in fact its better to update an old thread then create yet another new thread on the same subject

16. macrumors member

Seems like my iPhone charges a bit faster with the 10 watt iPad charger. The reason for different chargers is obvious if you've ever tried to charge an iPad with an iPhone charger or a USB port though.

17. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It also tells you the same thing on the Apple Store.

It even has a nice picture just to make sure. :D

Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 14.14.14.png

18. macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I was skeptical at first.. because of some bad reviews I read. But one day I had no other charger except my iPad charger. It works. Charges just as fast.. or faster (I'm not sure). Using it right now, actually. haha.