is it safe to use these builds on personal mac's?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by tbluhp, May 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Now that 10.8 has had several different builds out and getting closer to summer are the 12A128p and above save to instal and use for day to day operations like installing over 10.7?

2. macrumors 603

Based on the bugs thread, no. But it all depends on what you do and what apps you use. Personally, I would wait.

3. macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Definitely safer then using them on business macs.

4. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

You should never use a prerelease version of an OS on your primary machine. You should also never use it if you have to ask questions like this: you're not going to be able to solve the inevitable problems either. I'd suggest strongly you wait for the official release.

jW

5. macrumors 601

What Mal said about x1000. When Apple says developer preview, they are dead serious. This is not intended for people to run this on their primary machine as their primary OS - it is intended for developers as a testing environment to test their products.

People ask this question before and the answer is not going to change - unless you have a darn good reason and a separate computer, don’t bother with pre-release apple software. I have and trust me, you are best waiting until it’s finally out.

This is defiantly a “if you have to ask, you aren’t going to like the answer"

6. macrumors 68000

Normally I would agree with the above poster...

However...

Mountain Lion DP3 is absolutely safe to put on personal Macs (mileage may vary).

I have it installed on my iMac and Macbook Pro.

Both work flawlessly. I have about 2 dozen pieces of software installed and all work well under ML, with many companies already offering compatible updates.

Mountain Lion DP3 is the most polished preview I have ever seen. Actually see improved speed on my machines. Safari is much faster. I could just imagine how much better the final release will be.

7. macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Yes, but someone asking about it, most likely doesn't have experience to deal with issues that may arise from running beta software, that may or may not work with everyones machines.

8. macrumors 68000

Agreed. No argument on that.

I'm just amazed how well DP3 is working on my machine.

And, yes, there are small bugs here and there but nothing drastic.

9. macrumors member

I've had three crash-reboot on my MBA 13'' since I installed the DP3 (one week). Wasn't doing anything special, just loading Safari or editing some files.

Nothing else though, seems noticeably faster than Lion.

10. macrumors G3

The small bugs that aren't "drastic" for you may be show stoppers for other people.

11. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agree with the "if you have to ask than its safer to wait"