Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
....daisy chain power strips?

The one plugged into the wall would have all but 1 plug used up, and the other would just have 2 AC adapters (which, due to their massive size is the reason I need to daisy chain). I don't think it should cause any problems, but so much power coming from 1 wall outlet might eventually be a problem.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
I hope your not connected through a battery backup. I did the same thing you did, and when I had a power outage, my battery backup overloaded and shut off... Its safer just to distribute the load between two or more outlets.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
you might try this instead...would keep your big transformers somewhat out of the way.

or alternatively, get a decent, high-amperage extension cord (not one of those little cheesey lamp-cord things), and just run it from another outlet.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I've been doing that for years without any problems, although it's more a matter of convenience...theoretically I could plug everything into one power strip, so I'm not everloading anything I don't think....

--Eric

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
As long as you aren't drawing too much power, everything should be fine. I've seen several PCs set up like thisat the local LAN hangout, all plugged into power strips (inadvertently) daisy-chained across 10' to one outlet. When the 8th or so PC gets turned on, the power draw exceeds the circuit's available amps (nothing to do with the strips themselves), all the PCs immediately lose power and the gamers will realize their mistake. I've seen this happen 4 or 5 times, but nothing has ever been damaged to my knowledge.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Make sure everything being powered off of the wall outlet does not add up to more than 15 amps current draw.

Where did the term "daisy chain" come from?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Always work it out from the devices you're plugging into the wall socket first using the Watts= Amps x Volts formula. It doesn't matter how many sockets you daisy chain as long as the total peak watts of all the connected devices is way below the maximum Amps your sockets provide.

The Volts parameter is always constant for where you live. In the EU it's 230V, but other countries have different values.

Then all you have to do is make sure you don't accidentally plug something like a kettle, iron or hairdryer into the chain. Anything with a heating element tends to use far more electricity than a computer or TV does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.