Is it safe to....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Nov 5, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

....daisy chain power strips?

The one plugged into the wall would have all but 1 plug used up, and the other would just have 2 AC adapters (which, due to their massive size is the reason I need to daisy chain). I don't think it should cause any problems, but so much power coming from 1 wall outlet might eventually be a problem.

2. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I hope your not connected through a battery backup. I did the same thing you did, and when I had a power outage, my battery backup overloaded and shut off... Its safer just to distribute the load between two or more outlets.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

you might try this instead...would keep your big transformers somewhat out of the way.

or alternatively, get a decent, high-amperage extension cord (not one of those little cheesey lamp-cord things), and just run it from another outlet.

5. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I think it is okay as long as you do not put too much of a load on it.. You might want to invest in a PowerSquid (they rock)

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I've been doing that for years without any problems, although it's more a matter of convenience...theoretically I could plug everything into one power strip, so I'm not everloading anything I don't think....

--Eric

7. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

As long as you aren't drawing too much power, everything should be fine. I've seen several PCs set up like thisat the local LAN hangout, all plugged into power strips (inadvertently) daisy-chained across 10' to one outlet. When the 8th or so PC gets turned on, the power draw exceeds the circuit's available amps (nothing to do with the strips themselves), all the PCs immediately lose power and the gamers will realize their mistake. I've seen this happen 4 or 5 times, but nothing has ever been damaged to my knowledge.

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Make sure everything being powered off of the wall outlet does not add up to more than 15 amps current draw.

Where did the term "daisy chain" come from?

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Making chains out of daisy flowers I assume? I was freakishly good at it :p

10. Queso macrumors G4

Always work it out from the devices you're plugging into the wall socket first using the Watts= Amps x Volts formula. It doesn't matter how many sockets you daisy chain as long as the total peak watts of all the connected devices is way below the maximum Amps your sockets provide.

The Volts parameter is always constant for where you live. In the EU it's 230V, but other countries have different values.

Then all you have to do is make sure you don't accidentally plug something like a kettle, iron or hairdryer into the chain. Anything with a heating element tends to use far more electricity than a computer or TV does.

11. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I have one of these, and they do rock! I would recommend one as well. :)

12. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Right on!