Is it stupid to buy a PS2 now? Just for one Game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Compile 'em all, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Okay, I wanted to start out with a disclaimer that I am not a avid gamer of any kind. I never owned a gaming console before too. The only game that I used to play for extended periods of time (4 years ago) was Red Alert.

Yesterday, A friend of mine invited me to his house to play Guitar Hero. I never played it before and he insisted that it is a lot of fun, and a lot of fun it was. Now, I am seriously thinking of buying a PS2 just to play Guitar Hero.

A PS2 costs around here 120 euros and I think Guitar Hero is 70 euros including the guitar, that is 200 euros give or take. My question is, does it make sense to buy a console just for one game? :eek:

2. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

I wouldn't think its a great idea to buy a PS2 for just one game.
    Are you certain you wont buy other games?

I think a better question would be, is it worth it to buy a PS2 at all?

3. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Haha! I bought a ps2 for one game, and that game was Guitar Hero!! It's an awesome game lol, I say get it!

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Maybe you could get a second hand PS2 to help drive down the cost ?

5. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Well, if there are other games that are fun as Guitar Hero then I would sure buy them, but the main motivation to buy a PS2 is just this game :eek:.

6. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I am currently living in Germany and used PS2s on ebay sell for almost the same price as new ones (what are those bidders thinking :confused: ).

I have another question regarding Guitar Hero. Can you change the language of the menus...etc?. I know for the PS2 itself you can, but what about the game? when I played it at my friend's the menus were in German but I didn't ask him if it was possible to change it.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

usually most european released have a language change.

8. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Not being an avid gamer, you probably aren't going to be getting PS3 for years, if ever, so what would be wrong with getting a PS2 now? A gaming console, like a car, isn't an investment...it depreciates as soon as you buy it and continues to, whether the PS3 is coming out or not.

I have no idea if PS2s are region locked or anything, but if they aren't, I'd wait just a couple of weeks, maybe even until just after Christmas, and see if you can get one used from the US, perhaps even in the MR Marketplace. But even if you're not interested in doing it that way, I still don't see anything wrong with an investment in a new PS2 now.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

they are. :eek:

10. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

hmm, well that's poop on a stick.... :rolleyes:

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I was actually thinking of getting a PS2 as well. The number of games on that system is massive and there are many very good ones that I never got to play (*choke* cough** Grand Theft Auto *choke*) :(

What? I've been busy.

12. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Looks like I will go for it then. One last question regarding the PS2? What kind of cables come bundled with it for connection to a Monitor?. I have a 2007WFP Dell.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It comes with just the composite phono cable.

You could get an svideo cable for better picture quality, or better qualty again would be a component cable into a VGA adapter and then VGA into your monitor.

14. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

How much better the quality will be? I mean, does this increased quality worth buying the component/VGA cable?

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

to be honest, I'd just get the S-Video cable. Its a lot better quality than Phono and the extra small difference in quality with component probably isnt going to be worth the €€ to you (especially for 1 or two games).

16. Compile 'em all thread starter macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Alright, thanx a bunch for the input. I will go with the svideo then. Do I need a specific svideo cable (I mean like PS2/sony branded) or any svideo cable will do?

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Any 3rd party cable. Probably cost a lot less too.

18. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well Guitar Hero II is coming to Xbox 360, complete with downloadable songs on Xbox Live; I'm sure that will be a more expensive route though.

As for the PS2, now is probably a great time to get a PS2. You might find yourself with a library of games before you know it since they are so cheap now ($5-$20). There are also hundreds of games available, so that is another plus.

19. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I'm buying the Wii, of twice the price, must to play Zelda. So no, it's not stupid. :p

20. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I say go for it.

I bought a used GameCube a few months ago even though everyone says the "GameCube is dead" - just to play a couple of Zelda games. I don't game much, so it's fun and I don't care about having the latest and greatest thing.

I have no plans on getting a Wii/PS3/XBox 360... if you don't either, then go for a PS2 if that's what you want.

21. jdechko macrumors 68040

If you can wait another week or two, you might be able to get a used PS2 for even cheaper. The PS3's being out in the market should drive down the cost of a used PS2 a little bit.

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'd wait until just after Xmas to make the purchase. Holidays being over will probably result in a decrease in the used price of PS2's and once PS3 production starts ramping up I'd expect another PS2 price drop.

23. fireball jones macrumors member

I was sooooo close to buying a PS2 (again) for Guitar Hero 1+2. Couldn't do it though, $200 is most of what the Wii will cost, although if you have no intentions of getting a new system, go for it!

24. aholden12592 macrumors regular

here's a little story: I got guitar hero around january 2006. Great exclusive game, loads of fun. Then as i started to pick it up again more recently i noticed that I would much rather just play a real guitar. And now I can play yankee doodle on a REAL guitar.

Anyways, you will have a blas with that and other exclusives: Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid, GOD OF WAR, and more. I am guessing you're a kid because a friend invited you over to play guitar hero. So god of war might be tough for convincing. My friend tried, got really close, but failed.

25. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My friend was going off to college, and sold me his PS2 for $25 (usd)

I bought a dance pad and DDRMAX2.

That's the only game I own for PS2, and I don't regret it. but I also got a killer price on the PS2...

I also own a Gamecube, and Super Smash Bros.

yes, 2 games, 2 consoles.

Guitar Hero looks interesting... what exactily is it though? Does it teach you to play guitar at all?