Is it that hard to install a new hd in a powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CEAbiscuit, Aug 4, 2006.

1. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

I've got a new 80 gig hard drive to replace a burt out 60 gig hard drive in my powerbook. Was thinking of using the instructions on ifixit.com to replace it ( have all the screwdrivers, etc) but a local reseller will install it for $100 bucks.

The question: I've never done this before, and the instructions on ifixit seem long.. but doable if I really buckle down for a few hours. Is it worth paying the $100 and waiting a few days for it to be completed correctly by a "pro" or crack open my powerbook for what is sure to be an adventure?

2. bwanac macrumors regular

Its really not that hard.

Give it a try. Just take your time and if you get nervous than take it to te guy.

3. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

just did this last week

to my 15" 1.33 alu pb.

make sure you get the right tools, #00 screwdriver, T6 torx and a good spudger (or two).

i was pretty nervous and went really slow but it still only took an hour.

as you will hear the hardest part is removing the latch near the dvd tray, take your time with this, the worst that will happen is you will scratch the case.

also, i didn't bother to remove the keyboard as ifixit.com tells you to, i just leaned it against the screen.

remember to use disk tools to format your new drive during the install process, i didn't do it and was so depressed thinking that my hd was no good since it was not recognized!!!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Plus, keep all your screws together in either an ice tray or on some double-sided tape. It's not terribly hard. Go for it. :)

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yea, I would just opt to go slow and be organized.. much better than paying someone $100 to do it for me!

6. kmarketing macrumors 6502

You can also download the guide from ifixit and the use the screw page to tape on your screws so you'll always know which goes where.