Is it the phone or the service?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wordmunger, May 5, 2006.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I've got a couple of Nokia "shorty" phones, which I use with the Virgin Mobile service. About 20 percent of the time when you call someone, they can hear you but you can't hear them. If you call back, the problem usually goes away, but I'm just curious if others have had this experience, and if getting a new phone would help.

We don't use the phones very much at all -- a max of 2 or 3 calls per week, but when we do use them, they are important calls. I'm willing to pay up to about $100 for a new phone, but only if it solves the problem. I'm less willing to switch services, since the Virgin Mobile plan saves me about $350 per year. But if anyone can recommend a pay-as-you-go service that's more reliable than Virgin Mobile, I'd be interested to hear about it.

I'm very pleased with Virgin Mobile's coverage, I'd just prefer that my calls always go through.
  2. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    At the Airport. UK
    i have had nokia phones that present the problems you describe, and i went with sony ericsson. i really like these phones.

i was on a different service provider, which may suggest that the problem is with our phone, not the network.

give virgin a call, and see if they can't rectify the problem; they may give you a free replacement!