is it time to get my 17" iMac this time?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by M. Malone, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

    M. Malone

    Mar 11, 2004
    I posted a thread a few months back regarding the iMac, which I was just about to get, but decided to wait and see how soon Apple will release an intel based one, wasn't long, now I'm ready to get it. There's nothing stopping me, I have a 1ghz 12" PowerBook which I believe is the greatest device of all time. and I will get a 12" macBook pro if they're released. But I will always prefer the bigger display when I'm home.

    Now what I wanna know is, these new intel iMacs, are they solid? am I gonna find any glitches on them? I'm not in a hurry to get one, but it's already here, should I go for it or wait for Rev B?

    thanks :D
  2. tartsquid macrumors regular


    Jan 21, 2006
    Reston, VA
    I'm loving mine and haven't noticed any problems whatsoever (yet *knocks on wood*) and as far as I know there haven't been any big glitches reported.
  3. yoda13 macrumors 65816


    Sep 26, 2003
    Well, you always run the risk of glitches and issues with revision A products and this is a major change for Apple. However, it is not and will not be your only computer, so I say go for it. If you do run into any problems, since you have more than one computer, you will not be high and dry, and if you don't, then you are on the bleeding edge in terms of Apple hardware.:D
  4. budugu macrumors 6502

    Sep 8, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If not for the gliches, then for the software. More than any thing else apple will release another imac intel dual core pretty soon. Currently they are using the same chasis and that is really large for notebook motherboard/processor (which the current imac have). I am sure in the rev B even if they not change the over all design they will be much much slimmer and probably even loose the chin! These are public betas and they will come up with really better after one rev. Ex: rev A vs Rev B in powermac G5, imac G5 etc, powerbook G4 (12" alu). They came up with an infinitely better model after 6 months in every case!!
  5. T-Stex macrumors 6502

    Jan 15, 2006
    This is how the computing world works. In general, and especially during the switch from IBM to Intel, you're going to see a lot of changes. If you wait for Rev. B, you might as well wait for Rev C., and by then, there's going to be something completely crazy on the horizon that you should probably wait for too, and so on.

    What it essentially comes down to is whether you want the computer now or not. If you don't need it, or arent absolutely crazy about having it, then waiting might not be a bad decision. However, if you do want it now, then by all means get it, you won't be dissapointed. So far it seems like the Intel iMacs have been holding up pretty well, without any big glitches. If the current Intel iMac will serve your needs now, then I say get it (but get Applecare, just in case).
  6. budugu macrumors 6502

    Sep 8, 2004
    Boston, MA

    ok i will bite ... Rev A powermacs SINGLE processor vs Dual processor machine RevB (for the same or lesser price in 5 months!) after that incrimental improvements. I am not sure tech wolrd works that way!

    Imac G5 RevB -> better internal desing + Free Airport+ Bluetooth + 110/240 V + ambient light sensor + double the graphics performance + dual layer burner 8x etc

    Apple Rev A 'generally' suck, because they are always rushed and they correct most of their mistakes after the first revision!

    Note the advice was for "this" guy who already has atleast one mac!

Share This Page