Is it time to get rid of my early 08 MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajumbaje, Jan 22, 2013.

  1. ajumbaje, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

    macrumors 6502

    ajumbaje

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2005
    Location:
    VA
    #1
    Considering getting a macbook air or pro. Is it a safe bet to assume my current macbook pro that's reaching its fifth anniversary this march is on its last legs(next os not compatible, etc)?

    Specs:
    15.4" anti-glare(non hd) display
    2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo
    4gb ram(upgraded after purchase)
    512 mb nvidia 8600gt
    640gb 5400 rpm hard drive(replaced post purchase)
    OSX Mountain Lion

    What do you think?
    If so, you think 525 is a decent asking price? Theres a bend over the disc drive from trying to snap the frame back together while replacing the hard drive. I can still use the drive though
     
  2. GGJstudios, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

    macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #2
    As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

    Posted from my Early 2008 15" MBP that still runs as well as day one.
     
  3. macrumors 65816

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #3
    Don't forget to specify the resolution and type of display.

    For example, Hi-Res Anti Glare will net you a few extra bucks.

    I think your price is reasonable, as long as the battery has been replaced within the last year, or has at least 85-90% of its capacity remaining. Battery with any less, I would probably knock off a hundred.

    Also, you won't be able to sell it with Mountain Lion. I don't know of any way to transfer your ML copy to the new owner, because it's tied to your Apple ID, not the system.
     
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502

    ajumbaje

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2005
    Location:
    VA
    #4
    totally forgot to mention it is 15.4" anti-glare. Not hd. That was only available with the 17" at the time. Battery I think was replaced in the last year

    ----------

    do you think it is on its last legs compared to the other macs out there and what will come out in terms of first party software?
     
  5. macrumors 65816

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #5
    It's tough to say. Because of the GPU issue with those systems, it will be difficult to predict its EOL. If it wasn't for that problem, you might even be able to get a bit more for it, like $600. But, there will be a lot of people that won't even go near it, because of the GPU problem with that generation. That's why I decided to just let my wife have my old early-2008 MBP when I upgraded to a mid-2012 one back in December. We're planning to have her use until it dies, or no longer meets her Facebook and light photo editing needs.

    You're probably on the right track with OS X support, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple drop support for it in the next OS X release or the one after.
     
  6. macrumors 6502

    JoshMKB24

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2013
    Location:
    Midwest
    #6
    I would sell it, I generally get rid of my computers on an annual basis while they are still worth something. The longer you wait the value will just drop. If you want to keep it thats fine, but it sounds like you might want a new machine, so I'd try to get it on the market asap
     
  7. thread starter macrumors 6502

    ajumbaje

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2005
    Location:
    VA
    #7
    Another thing I forgot to mention. I had to have the logic board replaced...
     
  8. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2007
    #8
    Really? On a yearly basis? And you feel you are not losing too much?
     
  9. macrumors 6502

    JoshMKB24

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2013
    Location:
    Midwest
    #9
    I mean I definitely lose.....but the amount isn't a significant loss.
     
  10. macrumors 68030

    Yebubbleman

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #10
    Putting in a larger hard drive with 7200 RPM or, contrastingly, an SSD, will definitely breathe more life into that machine. Given that you can, with those specs, run Mountain Lion comfortably, I'd say you have another year of life in that machine. Obviously, if you want to run a program that won't run or run to your liking on your current machine, then it's time to upgrade now. But the fact that it's five years old doesn't at all mean it's "running on its last legs". That said, if you are finding yourself wanting a newer MacBook Pro and one that doesn't adopt the user-unservicable design of the retina MacBook Pro, you might want to buy one of the non-retina models as they will likely be discontinued at the next refresh. Otherwise, if you'd rather your next MacBook Pro have a retina display with the new body style (or if you don't care either way), you certainly will be fine waiting a year as you can comfortably run the latest version of OS X.

    A friend of mine and I did the math on this; if you buy a MacBook Pro and you sell it every year at each new refresh of the product line for five years, you actually save $1000 from the cost of what that initial MacBook Pro would've cost. It's definitely financially sensible. However, selling your computer every year is a pain in the ass. But if you can pull it off, there's no denying that you save money. And that doesn't factor not having to buy AppleCare.

    It is a bit of a ridiculous practice, but you do save a ton of money over the long haul by doing it.
     
  11. macrumors 65816

    phoenixsan

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2012
    #11
    $525.....

    seems to me a good asking price, tough I am lending more to $600 tops if you had taken good care of the machine, and there are not cosmetic/functional issues involved.

    About EOL for this machine, the first Intel-based Macs let in the cold by OS updates, first comes, if my memory works, with OS 10.7 So, maybe your computer stands up two iterations more of OSes (just guessing):(

    Factor in shipping costs/fees if selling through an online site.

    :):apple:
     

Share This Page