Is it true that high audio levels can distort the picture?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by corywoolf, Sep 20, 2005.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I had heard somewhere that recording high pitched sounds with a mini dv camera can mess with the tape, is this true? I told my video teacher that and he doesn't believe me. I know I have had problems before with audio levels being high and the picture quality going bad. So do audio peaks effect the picture or is this a myth? I did a google search and didn't find anything on it.

thanks

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Not with digital video cameras. oh, nevermind.

3. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

So I was wrong?

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Lacero's just being Lacaro, ignore him. ;)

The problem used to happen when a strong signal from a speaker magnet used to be able to distort a CRT display with it's magnetic field, the louder the sound the stronger the field.

The speaker needed to be right next to the display and unsheilded.

This can't happen on a video camera for 2 reasons 1. speakers aren't big enough 2. LCD displays don't get affected.

5. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

What your saying though has nothing to do with recording....only playback...

6. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

I don't know a lot about DV, but assuming it's recording digital audio and video onto the same medium (as the name suggests), I can't imagine why the pitch (frequency) of the audio would matter.

As far as digital audio is concerned, whether the sound is high-pitched or not is irrelevant. A 20KHz sine wave will look almost the same to an A/D Convertor as a 20Hz sine wave of the same amplitude. After that, it's just a 16-bit PCM word that represents the amplitude of the wave at the point in time at which it was sampled.

(Sorry, thinking out loud, I could be way off - it is 3:47am!)

I'd have to agree with WinterMute. Any visual distortion would be a playback thing.