Is it true that high audio levels can distort the picture?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by corywoolf, Sep 20, 2005.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2004
    I had heard somewhere that recording high pitched sounds with a mini dv camera can mess with the tape, is this true? I told my video teacher that and he doesn't believe me. I know I have had problems before with audio levels being high and the picture quality going bad. So do audio peaks effect the picture or is this a myth? I did a google search and didn't find anything on it.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Not with digital video cameras. oh, nevermind.
  3. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2004
    So I was wrong?
  4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Lacero's just being Lacaro, ignore him. ;)

The problem used to happen when a strong signal from a speaker magnet used to be able to distort a CRT display with it's magnetic field, the louder the sound the stronger the field.

The speaker needed to be right next to the display and unsheilded.

This can't happen on a video camera for 2 reasons 1. speakers aren't big enough 2. LCD displays don't get affected.
  5. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    What your saying though has nothing to do with recording....only playback...
  6. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Jan 21, 2005
    New Zealand
    I don't know a lot about DV, but assuming it's recording digital audio and video onto the same medium (as the name suggests), I can't imagine why the pitch (frequency) of the audio would matter.

As far as digital audio is concerned, whether the sound is high-pitched or not is irrelevant. A 20KHz sine wave will look almost the same to an A/D Convertor as a 20Hz sine wave of the same amplitude. After that, it's just a 16-bit PCM word that represents the amplitude of the wave at the point in time at which it was sampled.

(Sorry, thinking out loud, I could be way off - it is 3:47am!)

I'd have to agree with WinterMute. Any visual distortion would be a playback thing.