Is it worth buying an iBook now?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by irmongoose, Dec 20, 2001.

1. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Is it worth buying an iBook now?

I mean, most probably the "new, revolutionary" thing Apple would introduce on Jan. 7 is gonna be a new iMac.... but does that mean the iBook would change too?

If it would be a minor change, i wouldn't mind, but....

:(

irmongoose

2. agent_smith macrumors newbie

I would wait

I think it would be safest to wait until January. Whatever happens at mwsf, you can be sure that the iBook will either be upgraded or at least cheaper. If youre not in critical need of one now, i think it would be best to wait 18-19 days.

3. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Who knows

I think we could see new iBooks in Febuary with slightly larger screens (13.1-->13.7) depending on which they can fit into the enclosure. Also, faster "sahara" G3 chips with more memory. Maybe airport as standard (I think this will become standard across all lines)

Just my opinion though!

4. Delenn macrumors newbie

If they do have the larger screens available though, do you think you'll still be able to purchase them with the 12.1 inch screens?

5. oldMac macrumors 6502a

There's definitely room for a larger screen in the iBook. I love how crisp and bright mine is, though. If only they could make the TiBook screen look that good.

6. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I dont know, apple tends to keep with one screen size on their portables. I dont remember any portable lines that had variations in them, could be wrong though. It would be a horizontal product shift so that the new machines would cost the same as the old machines (just with a larger screen).

7. Delenn macrumors newbie

That's true, and it's be nice to be able to support higher than 1024 x 768 resolution. But I'm thinking about purchasing an iBook in late March to early April, and on my meager High School budget, it'd be nice to be able to have a choice of a smaller screen so I can chunk of some of the money required, I rather like the 12.1 display.

8. irmongoose thread starter macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The screen size is good

The screen size is good.... i mean, it comes out so clear on that thing... way more clearer than the powerbook.

Well, it still deosn't answer my question.. should i wait?

9. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Your not the only one with the tight budget! The resolution is not necessarily going to increase on the new iBooks. Probably, wait until the new model comes out and then snap up an old model for a discounted price?

10. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I would wait until january to make sure a new model does not come out (I am pretty sure they wont), if not then go and buy one the day after!!

11. irmongoose thread starter macrumors 68030

irmongoose

12. Delenn macrumors newbie

That was what I was planning on doing, just hope they time this release thing right for me.

13. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Generally, desktops are updates in Jan + portable in Feb (if the past is anything to go by)

14. irmongoose thread starter macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well, that means March or April in Japan if its Feb, so.. ill stick with the current iBook.. it can do what I want it to do, so.....

thanx ppl...

:)