Is it worth getting ilife 06?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pbagaindoc, Feb 15, 2006.

1. pbagaindoc macrumors member

All I have on my Power Mac 2.7 are OS 10.4.5, Toast 7, Mac the ripper and Handbrake. Is it worth getting it?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Depends on what you plan on doing with it. I don't use iMovie or iDVD (well, very rarely). iWeb doesn't really appeal to me. GarageBand? Meh.... I do use iPhoto fairly often, though.

I tend to keep the iLife version that came with my various Macs. However, if the apps are appealing to you - even a couple of them - it's a good deal.

3. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

iPhoto is my favorite program in the iLife suite. I use it every day and it has all my photos organized very nicely. I did try using iWeb, but it never really caught on. I have used iDVD once to make a DVD for my girlfriend for valentine's day, and I have used iMovie HD (and plan to use it more once I get a miniDV or something).

4. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

If you use iPhoto a lot then iLife 06 is worth that upgrade alone. I am using a G4 1GHz Powerbook with 1 GB RAM and before iLife 06 iPhoto would take up to 10 minutes to open and another 10 to close with 10,000 photos loaded. Now it loads in about 10 seconds and closes in 5 and the whole experience is so damned snappy.

As I have posted elsewhere I also love the full screen editing and easy compare functionality.

iWeb on the other hand writes such God awful code that I have yet to use it properly as I prefer Dreamweaver with a bit of hands on coding.

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I purchased it solely for iPhoto '06, just like last year when I purchased it solely for iPhoto '05. I'd say the iPhoto '06 upgrade was more significant than the iPhoto '05 one.

I installed iWeb too, but more out of curiosity. I don't really like it.

AppleMatt

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I use Garageband more with the Podcast building feature. You can do radio show quality bits with the sound effects. For example, I did a mock interview with a friend and added some beach background noises with seagulls and it sounded like we were at the beach. Now when I listen to a typical radio morning program, I realize that you can create the illusion of running in rush hour traffic or at a major sports event.

iPhoto is excellent with the speed improvements and iMovie works good with Eye TV 200 if you don't have a digital video cam.

7. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

i bought it spontaneously as i had a small movie project i needed to complete quickly and wanted the latest version of iMovie, but once i got it iPhoto was totally the best upgrade. If you use any of the iLife apps it's worth the upgrade, though.
    I didn't really like iWeb, but for someone who has no idea how to make a website it could be ok, i guess.

8. Butters macrumors 6502

I'd say it's worth it, if just for iPhoto that app is great and the '06 upgrade was worth the money alone.

iMovie and iDVD are nice to have too but I have to admit it's not really very often I use them as the average user wouldn't even have enough footage to make a movie and DVD everyday.

iWeb kinda sucks, maybe if I had .mac and didn't already have my own blogging website and Dreamweaver it might appeal to me a bit more. (I've still got it installed though for some reason)

So to sum up yeah it's worth it if the apps appeal to you and you're not like saving up for something much more important.

9. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

Absolutely worth it! As others have posted, iPhoto '06 is great and worth it by itself. That full screen editing is awesome! And unlike others, I love iWeb. Granted, I had ZERO prior experience with making a website, but it's a great app. People who are overly critical of it are generally already experienced with web design and feel iWeb is a bit limiting. They need to keep in mind who iWeb was intended for - newbies to web design and those not familiar with DreamWeaver, etc.

Go for it - I doubt you'd regret purchasing iLife '06!

10. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

yeah, all i've got to say is that if you've got a few good friends and a digital camera, you'll have loads of fun with iphoto.

11. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

it may be a small thing but my favorite thing about ilife is that all the applications have the same ui as itunes, creating slightly more space and a nicer look

12. Pedro. macrumors newbie

13. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Slightly odd q, isn't it... does depend a great deal on if you need any particular app or not. Be that as it may, if you do, then some of the iLife apps do a credible job. iMovie is actually not bad at all, and better than it was in 05. If you have a small project, iMovie is perfect. I've run FC Pro and iMovie, and iMovie is more user-friendly, and really very adequate for modest projects. iPhoto is again superior to 05, though that assumes that you like the way iPhoto works... personally I'm not a huge fan, coming from a PC background, I find iPhoto irritating and not flexible compared to some free offerings on the PC... this may be a personal taste matter to a degree, and if you have not been spoiled by better altarnatives, iPhoto has a great number of fans on the mac (just see this thread alone!). iWeb I have not used, but it seems if you have no background in building sites, this might hit the spot. Garageband is no different in 06 compared to 05 (except for the silly podcast feature)... I've used both, and I love Garageband... for the price it is quite powerful, and infinitely easier to use than f.ex. Logic, with minimal learning curve. I have not used iDvd.

14. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Worth it just for iPhoto, that is if you have a digital camera.

::20ROGERSC::

15. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

List the better (free?) alternatives.

16. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Well if you think you are going to use any of the applications, I would buy it...but for me I just use the Pro apps. iPhoto is a very nice app and is worth it if you have a digital camera.

17. prophet621 macrumors member

You're really the only one who can decide if it's worth it. Do you often use older ilife apps?

Most people I know think the upgrade is worth it for iphoto but if you also use any other the other bundled apps I would think it would certainly be worth the cost. The improvements over 05' seem to be fairly extensive.

However, if you are like the few (like me) that really don't like any app in the ilife suite I highly doubt this would change your mind. I tried it out on a friends computer and I still don't like iphoto and the other apps simply don't interest me. I really hate having to import pictures rather than just point to a folder and show only the pictures in that folder like I do on my Windows PC with ThumbsPlus. I still think it's a slow, clunky, horrible app.

18. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

You have an iLife 05 disc that came with your Power Mac. Are you saying you removed it? If you did, then it's much better for you to put iLife 05 back on rather than buy 06 - the upgrade from 05 to 06 isnt worth that much in my opinion.

19. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I was just about to say the same thing, with the exception that iLife 06 is much better than 05, maybe just not a justified purchase for some if you have 05.

My advice would be to install 05 and see what you think. The functionality has improved a little, but you could at least get an idea of how the suite works and whether you need it or not. Also, just pop down to the Apple Store or nearest reseller some time after using iLife and play around with 06 to get a feel of the latest features. You are the only one who can decide whether it's worth it or not.

20. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I'm a pro application guy, but I always feel the need to have the latest everything, so I got a copy.. I like to play in garageband when I'm bored, and I use iPhoto for some pics I take every so often and I use Toast instead of iDVD. I use Photoshop/Dreamweaver instead of iWeb and FCP instead of iMovie, but to each his own.

21. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Only for the PC: irfanview. Some prefer picasa. YMMV.

22. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

iweb is great

23. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Picasa is a very nice photo app too.

24. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

EWWW! It's gross, and gives you part words in the summaries. Piece of added crap, gives spewy code too. USE RAPIDWEAVER, If you are so inclined to do things easily, without much knowledge.