Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
That's what I do every year. Go pick up the new phone then sell the older one on craigslist for between 5 or 6 hundred bucks. Usually go on check CL for what other people are selling them for then drop mine $50 or $75 lower.

Ex girlfriend just had her iP5 that I bought her on CL for $750 and it only lasted a couple days...:rolleyes:

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Everyone should be upgrading IMO. Even iPhone 5 consumers just to benefit from that incredible camera, fingerprint scanner and desktop calibre 64 bit performance.

Agree. Haters call it a small upgrade from the 5 but I think this is the best S model yet. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
From a 4s yes. I sold my 4s already in preparation and I skipped the 5 as well.

iOS 6.1.3 was crawling on my 4s so a fresh reset of Apple's latest & greatest software merged with likewise hardware should be a treat for any owner of a 4s or earlier model. Now a 5 maybe not so much.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
the 5s has an 8mp camera, so does 4S

That means nothing. It's akin to saying "the 2011 base model Camaro has a 6 speed transmission, and so does the 2013 ZR71 Corvette... they're basically the same".

The aperture is larger, the optics are better. The hardware supporting the camera is greatly improved. Those 8 megapixels? On the 5S, those 8 megapixels are 15% larger than the same 8 megapixels on the 5 which, among other things, helps yield 33% better low-light improvement over the 5 .. and the 5 already had significantly better low-light performance than the 4S.

Upgrades the 5S camera has over the camera in the 5 that I can think of off the top of my head (let alone the 4S -- the camera has improved every year):
  • Larger aperture for the lens (this lets more light in: this is A Good Thing)
  • 15% larger sensor/pixel size (this gives higher quality color, less noise in the photo, overall a measurably better quality photo)
  • 33% better low light performance
  • The dual LED system that measures the 'temperature' of the ambient light creates a flash 'color' that matches the ambient light creates greatly improved, more natural looking flash photos.
  • Because of the better hardware on the 5S, you can run the camera in 'burst mode' which will shoot 10 full sized photos per second as long as you hold the button down.
  • You can film HD video at 120 fps (4x normal) if you'd like, to get slow mo effects.
  • When you take a photo, the camera system actually takes several photos back-to-back in rapid succession, analyzes each one, and uses the 'best' one. This all happens so fast as to appear to be instant.
  • When you take a photo in a low-light situation, the camera system actually takes several photos back-to-back in rapid succession, analyzes each one, and will composite the 'finished' photo based on the best parts of each. This helps mitigate 'blurring' of subjects that is so common in low light photos. This all happens so fast as to be appear to be instant.
The improvements to the camera system on the 5S are significant. Don't listen to people that just see the bullet point '8 MP Camera' and assume it's the same beast. They're nothing alike.

Last edited:

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
That means nothing. It's akin to saying "the 2011 base model Camaro has a 6 speed transmission, and so does the 2013 ZR71 Corvette... they're basically the same".

The aperture is larger, the optics are better. The hardware supporting the camera is greatly improved. Those 8 megapixels? On the 5S, those 8 megapixels are 15% larger than the same 8 megapixels on the 5 which, among other things, helps yield 33% better low-light improvement over the 5 .. and the 5 already had significantly better low-light performance than the 4S.

Upgrades the 5S camera has over the camera in the 5 that I can think of off the top of my head (let alone the 4S -- the camera has improved every year):
  • Larger aperture for the lens (this lets more light in: this is A Good Thing)
  • 15% larger sensor/pixel size (this gives higher quality color, less noise in the photo, overall a measurably better quality photo)
  • 33% better low light performance
  • The dual LED system that measures the 'temperature' of the ambient light creates a flash 'color' that matches the ambient light creates greatly improved, more natural looking flash photos.
  • Because of the better hardware on the 5S, you can run the camera in 'burst mode' which will shoot 10 full sized photos per second as long as you hold the button down.
  • You can film HD video at 120 fps (4x normal) if you'd like, to get slow mo effects.
  • When you take a photo, the camera system actually takes several photos back-to-back in rapid succession, analyzes each one, and uses the 'best' one. This all happens so fast as to appear to be instant.
  • When you take a photo in a low-light situation, the camera system actually takes several photos back-to-back in rapid succession, analyzes each one, and will composite the 'finished' photo based on the best parts of each. This helps mitigate 'blurring' of subjects that is so common in low light photos. This all happens so fast as to be appear to be instant.
The improvements to the camera system on the 5S are significant. Don't listen to people that just see the bullet point '8 MP Camera' and assume it's the same beast. They're nothing alike.

Thanks for the details. Do you think it will make a difference in taking pics outdoors?. That's really the only time I take pics.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Thanks for the details. Do you think it will make a difference in taking pics outdoors?. That's really the only time I take pics.

Coming from the 4S? Absolutely. You'll have the option of doing panorama shots which you cannot do on the 4S (introduced with the 5) which for a lot of outdoor shots is really nice. The color saturation will be much better. I've noticed a definite difference in photo quality between the 4S and the 5, and based on what we've seen with the 5S, it will create another definite bump in quality there.

If you do any action shots (kids jumping in the pool, someone playing basketball, go-karts, horse races, people goofing around, etc, etc, etc) the new burst mode will be a great boon towards getting the 'perfect shot' without having to be lucky.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
You'll have the option of doing panorama shots which you cannot do on the 4S (introduced with the 5) which for a lot of outdoor shots is really nice.

Just wanted to let you know that you can do panorama shots with the 4S, got introduced in iOS 6.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
To say the camera is no different because they are both 8MP is extremely naive . Yes the resolution size of the photos will be the same but that's about it. The 5s has a better sensor and wider aperture so clearer images, less noise and better low light performance. The 5s has a better processor so image processing will be much improved as well. Also the true tone flash looks like it'll result in better photos where the flash is used judging by Apple's samples.

It will also auto-focus in a fraction of the time the 4s requires.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Just wanted to let you know that you can do panorama shots with the 4S, got introduced in iOS 6.

I was not aware of that. Cool.

My other points still stand. An upgrade from the 4S will be a huge, huge upgrade. It's a personal decision as to whether someone wants to wait another year for the 6 or not.

Me? I'm going from my 5 to the 5S without hesitation.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas

My other points still stand. An upgrade from the 4S will be a huge, huge upgrade. It's a personal decision as to whether someone wants to wait another year for the 6 or not.

That's what I'm doing. Although I still think my iPhone 5 is a beast, I'll be getting the 5s just because I can.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013

I agree, thanks for taking the time to write what you did about the 5S camera improvements.

Sooo excited to get my 5S in less than a week! :D

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011

The 5 camera technology (which is the 4s) is already 2 years old. 2 years is obsolete in technology. Imagine the jump from the 4s A5 to the 5s A7. Of course the 5s camera knocks the socks off the 5 camera (4s) even if it is the same 8 mp. Is a 1GHz A5 the same as a 1GHz A7?

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
The 5 camera technology (which is the 4s) is already 2 years old. 2 years is obsolete in technology. Imagine the jump from the 4s A5 to the 5s A7. Of course the 5s camera knocks the socks off the 5 camera (4s) even if it is the same 8 mp. Is a 1GHz A5 the same as a 1GHz A7?

Thanks for the input. I'm getting the 5s anyways.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I upgrade every year on a family plan with 4 lines (about to be 3). I think we all knew that Apple was doing a S model this year and I would be shocked if they stick with the same 4 inch display for 2014; your just asking for trouble. So if you can live knowing that the iPhone 6 is going to be a bigger/better phone than yes, upgrade. Otherwise wait unless you have a family plan like me and the wife could care less about upgrading (she has a iPhone 5 from last year).
I'm actually a Android fanboy and I would tell you to avoid iPhone altogether until new management takes over. Tim is not cutting it and I don't like the direction Apple is heading into. But buying an iPhone for a non-tech savy wife has it perks because I can tell her that Apple just added a fingerprint scanner and the camera is still 8mp. My wife does not know 8bit from 16bit to 5bit and she could care less. The phone is just as fast and Apple is giving you iOS 7 for free. She is then cool with letting me use her upgrade. Heck, I'm going to say the same thing next year. :cool:

And I find it pretty funny that Apple kept the same 8mp camera over something larger like 13mp but instead used 64bit as the new catch phrase which was used by videogame companies and AMD last decade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.