Is it worth getting the PPC G5 iMac now, compared to the Intel iMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by thefunkymunky, Jan 25, 2006.

1. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2005
    Hi everyone.

My company wants to buy our graphics department new iMacs ASAP as they are moving offices. The problem is all the apps we use are currently not available as Universal Binaries. Adobe Creative Suite, QuarkXpress etc. My boss doesnt seem to want to wait 6 months or so for these apps to be updated and I am pretty sure we would not be satisfied with the performance under Rosetta.

So the thing is. Shall we get the PPC G5 with maxed out RAM etc and fastest processor or get the top Intel iMac with maxed out RAM instead and run the apps under Rosetta for a bit.

Just for the record we are going to upgrade to ACS2 and QuarkXpress 6.5 when getting the machines and I'm thinking we may have to pay another upgrade free when ACS3 and QuarkXpress 7 ships which is a bit of pain in the ass.

We tend to work with fairly large images in CS and multi-page documents in Quark (around 200+ pages) so I dont really want performance to suffer that much when running through Rosetta.

Can anyone help with this discision. Thanks. wink.gif

[UPDATE] Just for more info. We are currently running PS7, Illustrator 10, Acrobat Pro 6 and Quark 5 (in Classic - I know there is no Classic on Intel Macs) on PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25GHz machines with around 1GB on each machine.

Ive read in a post on MacNN - that running PS under Rosetta is faster than a G4 1.67GHz PB. So would running under Rosetta be faster or on a par with our current machines. :confused:
  2. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    yeah about, tell the boss that they are a better investment.
  3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    they will be so much faster in the future. If your company will keep them for a couple of months, then go with the PPC. But if your company is not an overflowing money pit, go with the Intel. As you said, in six months, everything will be 1.3x faster (or whatever they say it is).
  4. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I agree with the above. But the G5 imacs will definitely be faster than what you have now.